1926 Ford Model T Fordor

ericmac

It's been a while since I've posted an update on this project.  Contrary to popular belief,  it is moving forward.  The wooden body structure was completely restored by Don Booth and the chassis is painted. I have the complete interior kit, new glass and new tires. The engine and transmission assembly is done as is the rear axle. So now I have sort of a Fordor kit to reassemble. Honestly,  it's getting hard to leave it alone.

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_20231204_112007126.jpg

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Glad you are back!

I never really left, but as I'm sure all of you know there are aspects of a restoration that are always "hurry up and wait" items. I delivered my nickel plating to a shop only to have them tell me they are retiring and taking no more work. I have an alternative shop but they are backed up. Such is life, right? Truth be known, I am very happy with the progress so far. Time wise, the car is right where I want right now. In regard to money,  I don't know if I already have the most expensive Ford Model T Fordor the world but I have to be getting there!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

It always seams that they go fairly quick at the beginning and then slow down. It’s like a rollercoaster ride. Waiting on parts to come in or items to get attention from someone else are slow. We all will get there at some point in the future. Some just a little quicker that others. Mike

At the rate my painter is going I'll have something that looks like a car in 2 months. 

23 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Glad you are back!

I never really left, but as I'm sure all of you know there are aspects of a restoration that are always "hurry up and wait" items. I delivered my nickel plating to a shop only to have them tell me they are retiring and taking no more work. I have an alternative shop but they are backed up. Such is life, right? Truth be known, I am very happy with the progress so far. Time wise, the car is right where I want right now. In regard to money,  I don't know if I already have the most expensive Ford Model T Fordor the world but I have to be getting there!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cudaman said:

Don Booth is "the man" when it comes to Model T Fordors and Centerdoors!  :)

Yes. The woodwork and metal work were done by Don. The chassis, fenders and body painting is being done by Mark Eyre, probably the best T restorer alive.  Once painted, the body will go back to Don, where he and I will put in the glass and interior.  Then it will go back to my house for final assembly and show detailing. It's coming along. 

• Like 3

On 12/18/2023 at 2:48 PM, ericmac said:

It was in excellent shape and only really needed some cleaning. 

Lucky duck! When I did my '26 axle last spring everything needed attention, it was even bent, lol. Luckily we have a local guy Don recommended that has the tools for bushing repair and axle straightening.

She's looking good, you'll be on the road before you know it!

I go in spurts with this car.  The next big thing is paint. As all of you know it is a significant expense but, obviously,  really makes the car. I am looking forward to seeing it back in its factory colors. I believe it should be something like this.

IMG_1291.jpg

• Like 7

Nice choice of color! There are so many maroon, black and green Fordors that it is refreshing to see one in Moleskin or is that Phoenix Brown (?). I recall that toward the end of Model T production one could purchase any body style in any available color.

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Nice choice of color! There are so many maroon, black and green Fordors that it is refreshing to see one in Moleskin or is that Phoenix Brown (?). I recall that toward the end of Model T production one could purchase any body style in any available color.

Honestly, am not certain but I think the color was called Dawn Gray. It is sort of greenish gray. I am going to have the paint shop match the color to what I have left inside the door jams. Thanks for the compliment. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ericmac said:

Honestly, am not certain but I think the color was called Dawn Gray. It is sort of greenish gray. I am going to have the paint shop match the color to what I have left inside the door jams. Thanks for the compliment. 

You are exactly right Eric……Dupont, Ditzler/ PPG code 30575 is the close modern equivalent. A very nice color, excellent choice. I’m sure Mark E. knows all of this.

IMG_5248.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

You are exactly right Eric……Dupont, Ditzler/ PPG code 30575 is the close modern equivalent. A very nice color, excellent choice. I’m sure Mark E. knows all of this.

IMG_5248.png

I appreciate the validation on this. While I could have chosen any Ford color I decided to let the history of the car and physical evidence drive my choice.  It was very clear when the doors were disassembled and when the striker plates were removed that this was the original color (who removes windows from the doors of a '27 Ford Fordor during a paint job in the 1950s?). I am probably 4 weeks from color.  You are correct Jeff, Mark Eyre is painting the car though his son AJ is even better with clear coat so he is going to spray that. I will be applying the pinstripes myself (gulp).

• Like 1

Progress on the (now) '27 Fordor continues.  Last night we move the freshly restored and painted rear axle to prepare for installation. I am also sanding wire wheels to ready them for tires and installation.  I am hopeful that I will have a rolling chassis by mid February. 

20240110_194451.jpg

20240109_214439.jpg

• Like 10

I am so pleased to see this car coming along this nicely! I remember you making comments about it on the MTFCA forums ten to fifteen years ago.

I also like the color choice! I looked at a very original 1927 T four-door sedan many years ago. The mostly intact original paint was that light greenish gray color. I really liked the color on that car.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:31 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I am so pleased to see this car coming along this nicely! I remember you making comments about it on the MTFCA forums ten to fifteen years ago.

I also like the color choice! I looked at a very original 1927 T four-door sedan many years ago. The mostly intact original paint was that light greenish gray color. I really liked the color on that car.

Wayne,  so glad to hear that you have been keeping up on the work that has been done. Likely by the end of the week the car will be sitting on new wheels and tires. The hope is to have the chassis completed by mid February. The body work is done and will be in paint this spring.  My plan is to debut the car in July 2025 though it is actually coming together faster than that. Perhaps....just perhaps Hershey this year.IMG_1641.jpg.9036870f8612b8e265587a3c2016a4c1.jpg

• Like 9

Here is the progress as of yesterday.  The running gear (other than the engine itself) is done. Right now,20240125_153613.jpg.a062aaa6d0b6facea4c58aeff0272bcf.jpg wheels are being painted and the engine is being cleaned up. While we're at it we're going to go ahead and pull the pan off the engine, take up the rods and reline the bands. We're looking at it so why wouldn't you?

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Looks great!!!

Hey, I saw them assemble a Model T in 5 minutes at Old Car Festival so what’s the holdup 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2