it is not efficient

here the diagram for riviera 1966

image.png.934485078d04dc51f466e6d89423f234.png

i sawn the blue wire from F alternator to 1/F regulator

but the pin R from ALTERNATOR?

ON  DIAGRAM it is not wired !!??

thank you for your help ?

Philippe

Philippe, The "R" terminal is used to operate the "Generator" (or "ALT") light on the dashboard for Buicks EXCEPT the Riviera.  As shown in the diagram you posted, the Riviera uses an ammeter instead of an indicator light.  There is a similar diagram on the same page of the shop manual that shows the connection for the models that lack an ammeter and use the light.

If you have the shop manual it provides troubleshooting procedures for a "no charge" condition.  Basically, you need to verify that 12V is present at the BAT terminal on the alternator, the belt should be checked to ensure it is tight enough to prevent slipping and the battery should be charged.  If those things are correct, then check for voltage at the "F" (Field) terminal of the alternator with the key in the RUN position.  If there's no voltage present, the next thing to check would be the voltage regulator.  If there's voltage on the field coil, then the problem is likely inside the alternator.  Again, the shop manual provides detailed troubleshooting and repair procedures.

• Like 1

With the engine running, there should be approx. 14.6 Vdc at the junction block.

I always wondered about the Ammeter whenever it comes-up for 2nd Gen Rivs. There must be a sensor connected to the gauge. I can't imagine a positive battery cable routed through the firewall to the instrument panel.

That was the case with old cars with 6V systems and was dangerous!

The Ammeter in the schematic shows the gauge under the hood.

I haven't checked the shop manual to confirm, but I believe it is indeed an ammeter wired in series (no 'sensor').  I worked at my friend's father's auto electric shop in high school and remember bypassing failed ammeters in more than one '60s and '70s Chrysler product.  Fortunately, the failure mode was just 'dead' car...

Notice the external shunt "10 red shunt". That implies it works like the Chevrolet ammeter. It is a bi-directional voltmeter, reading in amps.

Apparently it uses a piece of #10 wire as the shunt, rather than a chunk of metal on the horn relay.

• Thanks 2

From the 1967 Buick Service Manual (Section F, Instrument Panel & Headlamp Operation - Riviera):

"The ammeter is of the shunt type and is connected across a long section of No. 10 wire which functions as a calibrated resistance.  The ammeter is connected in such a location that all current going into or coming out of the battery (except main starter current) will register.  Current supplied from the generator [sic] directly to accessories will not register."

• Like 3

On 9/8/2021 at 2:26 PM, EmTee said:

From the 1967 Buick Service Manual (Section F, Instrument Panel & Headlamp Operation - Riviera):

"The ammeter is of the shunt type and is connected across a long section of No. 10 wire which functions as a calibrated resistance.  The ammeter is connected in such a location that all current going into or coming out of the battery (except main starter current) will register.  Current supplied from the generator [sic] directly to accessories will not register."

I looked into fixing ammeters in my Chevy trucks and this explanation makes sense. You want all the load to be on one side so the gauge will show if the system is charging or being drained. NOTE: I decided not to fix any!! lol

so I changed the olf alternator and put a NEW

the results are on the picture :

image.png.282f825d6aaca4c7f94329064184345a.png

i started the engine

the battery before was 12 V

NOW AFTER 10 minutes >i have 12.25 V

IT is strange i don't see 13.5-14 V

what i must control please ?

Thank you !

philippe

If alternator output is low, try supplying field voltage directly.  Disconnect the electrical connector on the alternator. Connect a jumper wire from the "F" terminal on the back of the alternator to the BAT terminal.  If the alternator output is normal (~14V) with the jumper in place, then either the voltage regulator or the wiring harness is faulty.  If alternator output is still low, the alternator has an internal fault.

• Like 2

Yes, connect BAT pin on alternator to F pin on alternator.  The idea is to manually energize the field windings in the alternator.  If the alternator is good, you should measure 14V at the battery itself (or BAT terminal).  If this works, then the alternator is good and most likely the voltage regulator is bad. Just be sure that the connections at the voltage regulator are clean and tight and the wires are in good condition.  The regulator should be securely attached to the car with the cover in place.  Be careful removing or installing the regulator cover with the battery connected.  Inadvertently shorting 12V to ground through the cover can damage the regulator.

OK, it sounds like the alternator is functioning.  Is your battery fully charged?  If not, that may explain the 13.5V output instead of 14V.  Make sure the battery is fully charged.  Test specific gravity of the electrolyte with a hydrometer.  Also make sure that the alternator belt is tight and not slipping.

If the output at the battery is only 12V with the field jumper removed, then you probably have a bad voltage regulator.  Before replacing it though, check it as I described in my next to last response above.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

On 9/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, Bloo said:

Notice the external shunt "10 red shunt". That implies it works like the Chevrolet ammeter. It is a bi-directional voltmeter, reading in amps.

Apparently it uses a piece of #10 wire as the shunt, rather than a chunk of metal on the horn relay.

on my riviera 1966 what this shunt looks like please ?

here the mesures :

image.png.f026c4aca7c9b8c77eef2f18fa5c52b3.png

how testing the bad regulator if it is bad ??

-  IT is real that i don't circulate with the car and the test are in engine without wheels so perhaps the car needs to circulate to charge normally the battery ??😂

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

As long as the engine speed is more than 1000 Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) the alternator should charge the battery.  The car does not have to be driving down the road.  It sounded like your previous test showed the alternator generating greater than 13V when the field was manually energized using a jumper wire.  Based on that result it's likely a bad voltage regulator.  Do you have another regulator that you can install?

• 1 year later...

I SAWN on my regulator on pin 4 a condensor like this :

image.png.e38773bca58a2d0b7b80b95fc2b91246.png

i sawn that the wire is cut

i solded in center to repair

is it good ?

I SAWN that this condensor is not very important for the system

AND the black wire is alimented on 12V

ok ?

25 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Yes, your condenser repair will work.  You can also remove it completely if you want to.

thanks EmTee

and if i remplaced this (if it is deficient) what capacity must i put  please ?

THE ORIGINAL REFERENCE IS : DR 5MF 1966588

i changed the regulator by model STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS VR103 (equivalent of AC DELCO D663)  and now the tension is out to pin alternator to 17 V when i push gas pedal !

I READ IN THE NOTICE THAT it could be the problem of spring tension as the picture :

image.png.33989f8258eac8ad21aa3ce352242664.png

Is it the solution please ?

THANKK YOU !

Philippe

Before adjusting anything make sure that the battery is fully charged (check specific gravity).  If the battery is OK, check voltage at the battery with the engine running and headlights ON.  You should see 14.5 Volts.  If it is higher, then adjust the regulator by bending the tang as described in the instructions that you posted above.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...