Selling a car at Hershey?

gpfarrell

My son and I are wrapping up a fun 2+ year project... we bought a 1975 Hurst Olds that had been stored inside for 31 years and have gradually revived it.  It's a Black 455/T-Top/Swivel bucket seat car in #3 condition. The car runs and drives great (47 degree air-conditioning!) and will be for sale shortly.  It's a great 10 footer but suffers from a mediocre respray done in 1986 or so, some misfitting Hurst-only interior pieces and some mildly pitted chrome.  Haggerty estimates a #3 car to be about $17,500 and I've seen beautiful ones hit $35k at several Mecum auctions.  I feel ours will be a $17.5k car.  It would be a great ice-cream/picnic/cruise car as-is or a solid foundation for someone that wants to take it to the next level.  (I have a Grand National winning '78 Mercury Marquis and a '68 Rambler American with a Junior, so I'm somewhat aware of the car's current condition and possibilities.)

Do you think it's worth offering it in the Hershey car corral?  We go every year but are normally only there Friday & Saturday.  I'd assume I should aim to arrive at least sunrise on Thursday, but maybe Wednesday is a better idea?  I'd trailer it from Pittsburgh to be certain I had a ride home.  Can I preregister?  Do I need to make the August 15 deadline?  

Any pointers for a successful venture?  Thanks much!

Cars priced correctly in the car corral sell.   Usually by end of day Wed.  Those that are crap boxes or overpriced do not.  Those are the cars still for sale on Thursday.

Neat car, priced correctly it should find a home using any sales channel.  

• Like 3

If you’re a member, you can call the National office and get a CC Space. The deadline is August 15, but don’t delay. Like someone said above, decent cars priced fairly sell at a good rate. Try to have the car there Wednesday morning. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I am late to this thread.  Car corral spaces are sold each day at the car corral office. So, if you have missed the deadline you can still get spaces.  You must be a member (you can join at the corral).  Unless there is a gigantic crush you can virtually be assured of a space.  Of course, the sooner you get there the better the space.  

As seen in the meet brochure:

Car Corral
Cars for sale must be at least 25 years old.

AACA-recognized vehicles only. No Street Rods, trailers, rollbacks, campers or parts are permitted. The Car Corral is for authorized vehicle sales only. SalesTax License is not required to sell vehicles in the Car Corral. If available, spaces will be sold during the show. Spaces will be approx. 10’ by 20’. Spaces will be sold first come first served. No private Jiffy Johns, tents, beach umbrellas, etc. allowed in Car Corral area.