What material is this?

Skvitt

What is the name of material that was used to do these inserts? These are trunk panels from '49 Buick super. It is probably not available. What can it be replaced with today besides ADS, PVC etc.?

I'd like to have it more or less authentic look.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Looks to me to be a pressed panel board.  A lot of the panels and backing panels were a heavy black board, and there was a method at the factory for shaping them and they held that shape.

That piece looks, in the picture, to be fairly flat, and one can buy panel board in various colors so a close match should be available.

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Looks to me to be a pressed panel board.  A lot of the panels and backing panels were a heavy black board, and there was a method at the factory for shaping them and they held that shape.

That piece looks, in the picture, to be fairly flat, and one can buy panel board in various colors so a close match should be available.

It does look like pressed panel board, or cardboard. But I can't find the source where to buy it, or what is the proper name for it. All I can see it the 1/8" hardboard from building supply stores

If you can't find a trunk cardboard kit for your particular make & model, check out Painted Cowlboard from Restoration Specialties & Supply in Windber, PA. It comes in many colors but maybe not in the correct pattern. You can always dye it to the correct shade if necessary. Cut to fit and have an upholsterer sew an edge on it to match the original. Might be shipping prohibitive though as it comes in large sheets. I've always picked it up in person at a Carlisle or Fall Hershey meet. 

Try Perfectfit or Rochford Supply, most upholstery suppliers carry it.  You may wish to buy the black, heavier board, and paint it to match the original color.  There's a natural tan available but it's lighter than what you have.  

Google upholstery panel board and you can find numerous places which sell this material.

• Thanks 1

OK, Thanks all! Now we're getting somewhere. I purchased from Perfectfit and Rockford before. The big problem will be shipping. I'm in Canada. But now when I know what to look for I'll try to source it locally from upholstery shops.

Restoration Specialties carries a stock of "cowlboard" which has a painted grained finish on one side' It's fairly flexible and could probably be moulded by slightly wetting the back. See online or call 814-467-9842

• Like 1