Where in Florida was this taken?

mike6024

• 1 month later...

I love the smoke on acceleration in the Florida video. Rings or carb? I usually think of blue smoke with rings, but it may be the the film that gives it a white look. I'd be interested in knowing what you all think.

As to the film, I find it amazing beyond description. Dare I say...even more wonderful than the cars were all the pretty women walking around in rather elegant (by today's standards) dresses and skirts as everyday attire.  How beautiful...(sigh.) My favorite cars were the '36 Ford coupe and the '40-ish Ford pickup ("US MAIL.") I'm still waiting for one of you guys to invent a time machine. I wish you could be a little quicker about it. 😄

Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of. Looks like a Ford to me, but I'm not used to the blacked out trim. Was that part of some lend-lease pre WW2 nickel/chrome conservation effort? I think I remember hearing something about that, but most cars I see from 40 or 41 have the conventional shiny trim.

• Like 1

Very cool! I liked this video more than the other California video, which was more sort of industrial parks and slightly less attributable to a specific era.

I was thinking that this Bunker Hill video might even be pre-war, or maybe during the war, but then I saw a '47 Studebaker at about 4:01 in the clip.Most cars in the video were early '40's. That would indicate how hard it was to get a brand new car right after the war. There was also that '46 Mercury that followed the camera for a while. Just before the 6 minute mark, it goes through an intersection that had those old mechanical traffic "lights."

The fenderless roadster you pointed out was also great. At first I couldn't tell if it was an early attempt at a hot rod...or just a few Okies/Arkies cruising around in whatever they could afford. I think it was a hot rod...there was also a very nice looking slightly modded fendered roadster with wide whites and hub caps. Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Yeah my brother and his friend made themselves a roadster like that in high school, or shortly after high school, and gave themselves some sort of name. I have some pictures of them with it. That would have been very late 1950's. But it was a fenderless Ford bucket roadster of some sort.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 6:02 AM, alsancle said:

At the 1:11 mark Rutlands Department store shows up.  There was one in St Petersburg.blv

That's CORRECT!    Between 4th Street and 5th Street headed westbound on Central Ave.

As a 16 year old worked at the Beach Bath Club in Redington Beach and we catered parties at Hubert Rutland's home on Brightwaters  Blvd in St. Petersburg.   Later I worked in Rutland's Bank in St. Petersburg FL.   Rutland was a cattle rancher and business man.  The sign in this film was Rutland's Department Store at 4th & Central.   Now they're building a 46 story condo across the street.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:02 AM, alsancle said:

At the 1:11 mark Rutlands Department store shows up.  There was one in St Petersburg.

• Like 1