Bugatti 1932 - 1933 , Hardtop in 1932!!!

Walt G

This 3 litre Bugatti had 8 cylinders and a 4 door hardtop body. I do not know the coach builder but am almost positive it was on display at the 1932 Paris Salon .  I have a list of exhibitors for that salon , that notes Bugatti did not have its own exhibit space but there were many coach builders who had their work on display . The show would feature new cars for 1933 although it took place in October of 1932. Notice how thin the thickness of the doors are. ( less weight meant that there was less bulk to get the car to go as fast as possible ) Many more photographs of the Motor Shows and Salons in Crankshaft magazine # 2 now available , I did a specific story on that topic for it with 12 pages of images/photographs all of the era.

Walt

Bugatti1932sedan3litre.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Walt, I have seen the almost identical body on a Lancia V-12. It was L&M. The build quality was particularly poor. Even with the thin doors, the hinges were failing. Notice the lack of a center pillar in the passenger side.

Letourneur & Marchand 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2021 at 8:20 AM, Walt G said:

This 3 litre Bugatti had 8 cylinders and a 4 door hardtop body. I do not know the coach builder but am almost positive it was on display at the 1932 Paris Salon .  I have a list of exhibitors for that salon , that notes Bugatti did not have its own exhibit space but there were many coach builders who had their work on display . The show would feature new cars for 1933 although it took place in October of 1932. Notice how thin the thickness of the doors are. ( less weight meant that there was less bulk to get the car to go as fast as possible ) Many more photographs of the Motor Shows and Salons in Crankshaft magazine # 2 now available , I did a specific story on that topic for it with 12 pages of images/photographs all of the era.

Walt

Bugatti1932sedan3litre.jpg

Going by the wheels and the general large size of the car I think this might be a Type 46, or one of its derivatives, which used the 'big block' straight eight of 5 litres plus.

Bugatti Type 46 - Wikipedia

Seeing the large rear seat armrest in the Bugatti reminds me of the similar fitment in the Thrupp and Maberley bodied Rolls-Royce PIII that a friend owns. It doesn't make entry to the back seat very easy.