Condenser on 1920 Buick K45

Frank Wilkie

Yes, condenser is in the bottom of the coil. they are often still good. If you have good spark, be happy. If you must, the end of the coil can be taken off and the condenser disconnected.

6 hours ago, Oldtech said:

Yes, condenser is in the bottom of the coil. they are often still good. If you have good spark, be happy. If you must, the end of the coil can be taken off and the condenser disconnected.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:15 PM, HarryLime said:

13218683-1920-buick-model-k-roadster-std_f.jpg

10 minutes ago, DonMicheletti said:

A question. Should the condenser go bad, what value external condenser would be correct. I dont think a "modern" condenser is correct, but I really do not know.

Don, I've missed seeing you at events since the lockdown!  Hope to see you and @neil morseagain soon!

My best guess for answering your question is 0.020 to 0.026 umf which is reported as the value for in-the-dist-body condensers for Pierce Series 80 distributors which use the Delco 2178 coil mentioned in previous article as in the same coil family.  I carry as backups and have substituted modern condensers of that value.  I ask parts houses for condensers for a 1962 full-size Ford 6 (223 cid), easy for me to remember but there are many more applications.  I'm happy to have someone provide a more accurate value for specifically the K45 we're discussing.

• Like 1