Can anyone identify this car?

pwdickinson

A 1941 Packard convertible coupe would be a rare car today, I'm guessing! Here is photo of a similar 1941 era Packard Phaeton (4 door convertible) taken with my 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster in 1957. Sadly, this Packard was sold by the then owner in the 1960's, parked behind a barn and rusted to a slow death. Different front bumper may suggest actual year or model.

1931 Chrysler&Packard.png

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bumper suggests a 160 or 180.   Phaeton would mean no roll up windows.  This was a convertible sedan with roll up windows.

• Like 1

While the term Phaeton originally back in the 1700's/1800's had a specific meaning for passenger style 4/5 seat wagons, and later for early teens windowless touring cars, manufacturers by the 30's used the term more loosely for many 4 door "folding top" cars, most of which had rollup windows. I was at a car show 4/5 years ago and a guy drove in with a stunning 4 door 1956 Red/Cream Mercury (or Monarch) hardtop, and sure enough, it had a Phaeton badge at rear window trim! As for Packard circa 1941, Convertible Sedan sounds OK, but Phaeton does sound more exotic!  

13 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

"While the term Phaeton"..."I was at a car show 4/5 years ago and a guy drove in with a stunning 4 door 1956 Red/Cream Mercury (or Monarch) hardtop, and sure enough, it had a Phaeton badge at rear window trim!"..."...but Phaeton does sound more exotic!  

Mercury  applied the "phaeton" moniker to their B-pillarless four door hardtops for 1956-'58 after which they were "Cruiser" for 1959-'60.   Lincoln selected "landau" for their comparable body style 1957-'60. 

It was that era when any good B-pillarless two or four door hardtop had to have an evocative name: Ford "Victoria", Hudson "Hollywood", Studebaker "Starliner", Nash "Country Club", Packard "Mayfair, Panama, Pacific and 400", Chrysler "Newport", DeSoto "Sportsman", Dodge "Diplomat then Lancer", Plymouth "Belvedere". Chevy 'Bel Air", Pontiac "Catalina", Olds "Holiday", Buick "Riviera" and Cadillac "Coupe de Ville and Sedan de Ville".

• Like 2