1950 Super

1 hour ago, Steve Kasper said:

I'm a new owner of a 1950 Super straight 8 w/dynaflow. The odometer reads just under 59000 miles. It appears that I will have to chase down a trans leak and fix the fuel gage, but otherwise it's pretty sound.

Steve Kasper, Cowlesville, NY

received_996758477416996.jpeg

received_423508371963821.jpeg

Nice!

Don't worry about the trans leak unless severe enough to affect performance.  Or just can't keep fluid in there.  If this is your first Dynaflow, don't be startled or worried when it does not shift. It does not shift.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful car!  Dynaflows are well-known for being leaky.  I've been finding it very hard over the last 15 years to tear mine apart for a few drips on the driveway whenever I park it.  Every year, I say "This winter, it's coming out!"  Every year when winter arrives I say "Eh."  :)  Maybe one of these days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I'm intending to do is take it to some car shows and continue to maintain and improve its condition.

What's on the shopping list is new carpet and upholstery and I'm looking to find a driving light/turn signal housing/ bumper guard, one of mine is a little roached. Anyone have any source suggestions?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

I just noticed your post and I have the identical car.  For the parts, I would keep checking the BCA Bugle.  You will probably find the gas gage is fine but your sending unit in the tank is shot.  There are a lot of good discussions on the forum about remedying this.

I had been putting off my transmission for years but finally wanted to get it taken care of last year.  Before taking it off the car, we decided to service it and that’s all it needed.  Of course it leaked but that’s because the 70 year old seals were bad so we changed those and we put in a new thrust pad.   What I was surprised about, was how clogged the screen was and it still worked fine. That clog really got my attention.   So I would start by servicing the trans while it’s still in the car instead of rebuilding it.  At the same time you will have stopped most of the leaks.  Then driving it may cure some more leaks.

phil

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 2