35 Buick spring shackle greasing

Buick35

The front rear spring shackle won t accept grease from a grease gun.I replaced the fitting and tried hammering the attachment and using heat,still no luck.I'm not sure how they come apart if that's what I need to do.Any ideas? Thanks.

First easy thing. Replace the grease nipple - or at least check that grease goes through it. 2.  You may have to jack the car to get the weight off it.  Can you run a drill bit down the hole?

If none of those help is time to consider dismantling.

You might try running a drill bit into it to get the dried grease out.  Then squirt some WD40 into the  cavity and let it work to soften up the remaining  dried  grease .  It might have to sit for several days and you may have to squirt WD40 into it several times. Replace the zerk fitting and pump some grease into it and it should break free,

All good ideas, but I prefer ATF as a solvent.  I have an Eastwood tool purchased 20 years ago:  fitting at end of tool goes on zerk (after fitting is cleaned out), small chamber filled with solvent of choice, hammer plunger to force solvent into the joint.  Then drive the car to enhance penetration of solvent and softening of hardened grease.  Repeat.  Sometimes it will take awhile, keep at it.

When I did my '37, I had the same problem with petrified grease in the shackle bolt preventing any new grease from entering.  

I replaced my rear leaf springs with new ones from Eaton so they were off the car, but

DSC_0233.thumb.JPG.2321ae90cdcbf14005e535d5b4b4f503.JPG.6525d4fe52e1566313e28f8897146af9.JPG

I drilled out the petrified grease from the bolt

DSC_0234.thumb.JPG.6aa16c7e3fbd6e01f5fb42b6d7bab2c2.JPG.73ddf6a814efcc52a1a7a01aeda21be0.JPG

Installed a grease fitting

DSC_0236.thumb.JPG.b74201e210d5f1b1f2cfe9119873b492.JPG.03882a0d3d83bfe03c221b2aa6c5717e.JPG

Pumped and pumped until all the old grease ran out and the new red grease came through.

I'll link to the spring section of my restoration.. maybe it'll help if you decide to remove the springs.

Gary

Here are the links to the pages that deal with the springs:

REMOVAL:  (JUST TOUCH THE ARROW IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER)

INSTALLATION:

And this final one was just dealing with the right rear shackle bolt that sheared off upon removal, but sometime you'll see a photo that will help you:

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)

And be sure to use synthetic grease. It is almost time for me to repeat the testimonial in favor of using synthetic grease from some farmers i met in Montana. Well, I guess no better time than right now for doing so again Yeah, I was at the feed store in Billings picking up Mobil 1 synthetic oil for the Cadillac I was driving rather rapidly. These guys I met said that once they changed over to synthetic grease for their heavy agricultural machinery, wear ceased to be a problem. Indicative of something, whatever that may be, way back then you couldn’t get synthetic oil at the Mobil gas station there in Billings. Mind you, this was a few decades ago. They knew what it was, but it hadn’t quite caught on with the general public yet. So the gas station guy sent me to the feed store, where he knew Mobil 1 was stocked. Makes sense. A commercial operation should be aware of any products which increase durability of their machinery, and therefore enhance the bottom line. Please read my first sentence again.     -    C Carl

Edited by C Carl
Add time frame (see edit history)
  • Like 1