Pre War Tire Tools..........

edinmass

This is the toolkit I built up with advice from Ed - he actually sent me the links  to what to buy.  Most of it was reasonable except for the snap on spoons that were not reasonable.

I will try my first tire next week with coaching from a restoration buddy that works near by.   For years he did all my tires but he is getting too old for me to ask him to do anymore. 

IMG_7930.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

What a sane person's tire installation tools look like:

cell_phone_3200.jpeg

gold-card.png

I would like to agree with you. That is certainly very similar to the "tool kit" that I carry in the car.

But way back in the 1970s when I just got my '33 I took the car to a local tire place to put on the five brand new Sears Allstate tires I purchased. They gladly took money in exchange for swapping the old tires for the new. But they also badly damaged the area on each wheel where the hubcaps mount. Took me a long time to get the wheels back into half decent shape.

I wish I could trust a tire shop to mount new tires. I would gladly pay a reasonable amount for the service, and I do exactly that on my daily driver. But I really don’t want the wheels badly damaged again. So since that time I have done my own tire mounting for the '33 using a couple of tire irons and a lot of choice vocabulary.

I know of NO modern truck or auto shop that can be trusted with snap ring wheels. Some restoration shops. But most restoration shops won’t just do tire work for people. They can’t stand tire work either. It’s difficult, dangerous, and easy to damage things, add onto the fact that wheels and rings fail on a regular basis, and the liability of “just did the tires” and now there is damage/accident/injured........it’s not worth it at any price.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I know of NO modern truck or auto shop that can be trusted with snap ring wheels. Some restoration shops. But most restoration shops won’t just do tire work for people. They can’t stand tire work either. It’s difficult, dangerous, and easy to damage things, add onto the fact that wheels and rings fail on a regular basis, and the liability of “just did the tires” and now there is damage/accident/injured........it’s not worth it at any price.

What Ed said.   Unless you are a customer that is already dropping tens of thousands of dollars,  the restoration shop is going to tell you to pound sand.   My shop will do it,  but like I said - I feel guilty as I'm younger and healthy so I'll give it a try.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is the toolkit I built up with advice from Ed - he actually sent me the links  to what to buy.  Most of it was reasonable except for the snap on spoons that were not reasonable.

I will try my first tire next week with coaching from a restoration buddy that works near by.   For years he did all my tires but he is getting too old for me to ask him to do anymore. 

IMG_7930.jpg

Don’t forget the blood, bandages, and the large bag of swears. I also use a carpet on the floor and rubber pads for kneeling.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Don’t forget the blood, bandages, and the large bag of swears. I also use a carpet on the floor and rubber pads for kneeling.

If anyone needs swears for their kit, I am the OEM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3