64 Riviera glove box/dash assembly

64Rivvy

I'm trying to put my pass dash panel glovebox and glovebox door back together. I bought it would be straightforward and never took any pics originally when i disassembled it a few years ago. Does anyone have an assembly diagram for this?  I went through each of my shop manuals but couldn't find anything on it. 

1 hour ago, 64Rivvy said:

Bump on this. Hoping to do this later today or tomorrow so hoping I get lucky, otherwise will hack it together. 

Hi Raul,

What exactly are you looking for? It`s pretty self explanatory where all the pieces fit, so what do you need?

Tom

I can't tells where the actual glove box (black felt box) and the glove box door might overlap and if I assemble the glove box and door outside of the car or i have to screw it you mounts on the dash support inside the car all at once. The screws originally in there were a mishmash with some missing so that's not helping either. 

There is also an extra oval metal support and I can't remember if there are just one or two of those. The finned aluminum is so delicate and the plastic is brittle so I only want to do it once before stuff starts cracking. I will figure out if theres no readily available diagrams, but figured I would give it another shot. Thanks.

Maybe this site will help you out.

I locked myself out of the glovebox by forcing it closed when it shouldn't have and I started searching for ways to get inside without destroying anything.

http://www.1964buick.com/resto_logs/glovebox/glovebox.htm

I have yet to actually open it, but it has only started to get warm up here so its on the to-do list of things. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

I can't tells where the actual glove box (black felt box) and the glove box door might overlap and if I assemble the glove box and door outside of the car or i have to screw it you mounts on the dash support inside the car all at once. The screws originally in there were a mishmash with some missing so that's not helping either. 

There is also an extra oval metal support and I can't remember if there are just one or two of those. The finned aluminum is so delicate and the plastic is brittle so I only want to do it once before stuff starts cracking. I will figure out if theres no readily available diagrams, but figured I would give it another shot. Thanks.

The oval metal support is installed in the right hinge area because the part of the dash which the hinge screws into is slotted to allow the hinge to slide up or down for adjustment.

I`ll see if I can find and post an illustration for you,

Tom

Kudos to Haz & Tom for the excellent info!   Nothing sadder than a request that goes unanswered. I know I've taken apart & reassembled that GB several times, but could not provide a proper description without doing it all over again. But I do remember one problem I encountered. I found the spring inside the GB light switch to be too strong for it's intended purpose. With the door closed it exerted unnecessary force on the whole assembly, which had already been cracked & repaired. It was many years ago but I do remember taking the switch apart & replacing the spring w a weaker one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got some time to get this done. It took a while longer bc i decided to tape and respray the black trim and ball vent black paint. I also resprayed the silver on the actual plastic plastic bc i must have scratched it up again. 

A few pointers for anyone doing this and installing a replacement glove door or reinstalling you old door.

1. Cover the entire front of the glove box door with blue or green painters tape when reinstalling. You can only get the dash door in by sliding in from the back and there is no way not to scratch it. Luckily I was paying attention and got away with only a light scratch before I realized and covered it in tape. 

2.  For the dash panel surround trim ball vent black inside the vent ball, i used eastwood underwood black. It laid down very nice and flat and the color is almost spot on. 

3. I added felt to the front and rear of the ball vent as discussed earlier in this thread but my suspicion is that it really is only needed at the rear of the ball vent.  I just left well enough alone bc the plastic was starting to crack from taking it on and off so many times. 

Here some pics of it done and then installed in the car. I still need to finish up the trim once I install the lower panel.  It can never look perfectly new without being able to replace the finned aluminum panels but it now looks lightly used instead of trashed like it originally did. 

Quick recap of what I did on this. 

1.  Removed pass dash panel and removed old glove box door that was basically trashed. One of the plastic mounts on the panel that holds the door was broken and had to be braced with aluminum and epoxied.

2. Found a replacement glove box door on eBay that was in good shape.

3.  Sanded,filled and primed plastic dash panel with rustoleum rattle can. I have another post where I give the exact color. I can't remember it.  Had to tape out around finned aluminum panels 

4. Cleaned up and Polished map/courtesy light mount and replaced lens.

5.  Replaced glove and map light bulbs. Will probably replace with led's later to reduce further warping from bulb heat

6. Taped and sprayed dash surround trim and inside vent ball with eastwood black

7.  Polished finned aluminum with #0000 steel wool. 

8. Repaired and reinstalled black felt glove box liner

8. Misc epoxy and filler repairs to screw mounting points and cracks. 

20210401_222248.thumb.jpg.8c4f269dbce0755ccca51ed9ac50ebda.jpg

20210401_222312.thumb.jpg.4e6af63b5aae84ba4039ee8a0cd04424.jpg

20210401_222340.thumb.jpg.e5f75bf52c8ade2c1651d2d48a95b55d.jpg20210403_001608.thumb.jpg.44e08aba32f6e7f5bc15cf90915e0dce.jpg20210403_001620.thumb.jpg.2cca5a1a25b54e79cfa7ff8b2da95509.jpg20210403_001624.thumb.jpg.fce96d0e48448435f41668cb63045395.jpg

Will add a few more pics when fully installed that are better daylight pics. Took these in the garage at night. 

Thanks for all the help from you guys to get this done. Was a very fragile and fiddly exercise but got it done. 

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

I finally got some time to get this done. It took a while longer bc i decided to tape and respray the black trim and ball vent black paint. I also resprayed the silver on the actual plastic plastic bc i must have scratched it up again. 

A few pointers for anyone doing this and installing a replacement glove door or reinstalling you old door.

1. Cover the entire front of the glove box door with blue or green painters tape when reinstalling. You can only get the dash door in by sliding in from the back and there is no way not to scratch it. Luckily I was paying attention and got away with only a light scratch before I realized and covered it in tape. 

2.  For the dash panel surround trim ball vent black inside the vent ball, i used eastwood underwood black. It laid down very nice and flat and the color is almost spot on. 

3. I added felt to the front and rear of the ball vent as discussed earlier in this thread but my suspicion is that it really is only needed at the rear of the ball vent.  I just left well enough alone bc the plastic was starting to crack from taking it on and off so many times. 

Here some pics of it done and then installed in the car. I still need to finish up the trim once I install the lower panel.  It can never look perfectly new without being able to replace the finned aluminum panels but it now looks lightly used instead of trashed like it originally did. 

Quick recap of what I did on this. 

1.  Removed pass dash panel and removed old glove box door that was basically trashed. One of the plastic mounts on the panel that holds the door was broken and had to be braced with aluminum and epoxied.

2. Found a replacement glove box door on eBay that was in good shape.

3.  Sanded,filled and primed plastic dash panel with rustoleum rattle can. I have another post where I give the exact color. I can't remember it.  Had to tape out around finned aluminum panels 

4. Cleaned up and Polished map/courtesy light mount and replaced lens.

5.  Replaced glove and map light bulbs. Will probably replace with led's later to reduce further warping from bulb heat

6. Taped and sprayed dash surround trim and inside vent ball with eastwood black

7.  Polished finned aluminum with #0000 steel wool. 

8. Repaired and reinstalled black felt glove box liner

8. Misc epoxy and filler repairs to screw mounting points and cracks. 

20210401_222248.thumb.jpg.8c4f269dbce0755ccca51ed9ac50ebda.jpg

20210401_222312.thumb.jpg.4e6af63b5aae84ba4039ee8a0cd04424.jpg

20210401_222340.thumb.jpg.e5f75bf52c8ade2c1651d2d48a95b55d.jpg20210403_001608.thumb.jpg.44e08aba32f6e7f5bc15cf90915e0dce.jpg20210403_001620.thumb.jpg.2cca5a1a25b54e79cfa7ff8b2da95509.jpg20210403_001624.thumb.jpg.fce96d0e48448435f41668cb63045395.jpg

Will add a few more pics when fully installed that are better daylight pics. Took these in the garage at night. 

Thanks for all the help from you guys to get this done. Was a very fragile and fiddly exercise but got it done. 

Just an FYI, Buick issued a metal sleeve after the fact that prevents the top of the liner from sagging in the middle.  It just slides over the edge but they we’re also pre-drilled if you wanted to use mounting hardware.

2 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

Thanks Pat. Will check that out. That huge gap where it's sagging is def bothering me but Ive wasted enough time on this and had to move forward. Any ideas on where I could find one of those? 

Vendors that advertise in the Riview. That's where I got mine. Just one of the many reasons that is such a great publication and organization.

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

Thanks Pat. Will check that out. That huge gap where it's sagging is def bothering me but Ive wasted enough time on this and had to move forward. Any ideas on where I could find one of those? 

Hi Raul,

Hope the illustrations I sent were useful.  I have the glovebox support that Pat mentioned, do you want a used or new one? Honestly, I think you would be better off using a piece of narrow U shaped aluminum stock which is readily available at most decent hardware stores and cut to length. If you decide to go that route, make sure you cut it long enough to support the top edge of the glovebox liner from corner to corner. Otherwise, the top edge will still sag relative to the corners as the factory fix does.

Also, I have used/made a soft foam gasket between the glovebox courtesy light housing and the dash to eliminate light bleeding past the gap between the two.

Congratulations! You did it!

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, 64Rivvy said:

Polished finned aluminum with #0000 steel wool. 

Yes Sir 0000 steel wool is great stuff.

I noticed your glove box door closed flush. Typically, the lower left corner of Riv first gen tend to pop up. I also noticed the lock button was fully extend in the up position. Uh, I cobbled yet another backwoods solution to keep the lower left corner of the glove box door flush. Would you speculate what the problems might be that keeps the door from closing and locking? Nothing in the assembly is broken,

Thank you

Turbinator