1922 Big Six Oil Type

Am looking to do my first oil change on my '22 Big Six.  The owners manual tells me to plan on installing 1-1/2 gal. of new, high quality oil with the weight that matches the temps I'll be driving in; which is 50 - 75 deg. in the northeast.  

With all the engine oil variations out there today, can anyone recommend a specific type of oil I should use and/or not use?

I plan on removing and cleaning the oil screen also.  The previous owner (had it for five years) had dropped the oil pan and cleaned it good (and I tend to believe him), so wasn't going to launch into that without cause.  Thanks

Oh boy   Check with some of the antiquers from your local climate for viscosity but DO USE SOME WITH ZDDP   I live in the SE US  a hotter climate  and use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil 20/50 in my 27 Commander with the Big 6. Others may use another brand that works But WITH THE ZDDP.   A lot of info on this subject here. Good luck

Commander Dave

+1 on using Valvoline VR-1 oil. I’m in a warmer climate as well, but I am going with the 10W-30 in my (Studebaker controlled years) Pierce Arrow. It’s slightly more expensive than a quality synthetic oil but has higher ZDDP which the flat tapped engines need. Lucas oil also has a high zinc oil but I don’t have personal experience with it.

Personally I would just use a decent brand straight weight like SAE 30 and save your money. ZDDP wasn’t even around when your car was built. It wasn’t until high compression engines with high valve spring pressures were designed in the 1940s to support the war that the additives were needed. Post war automobile engines began to be introduced that used the learnings from the war to create more power and those engines required a balanced zinc and phosphorus content to reduce wear issues. Running a high ZDDP content oil won’t hurt your engine but it certainly isn’t needed. What will hurt is adding too much ZDDP, like using VR1 and using a ZDDP additive. If you want to step it up a bit and buy synthetic oils those are about the best you can get.  My problem is, without an oil filter, the carbon content from combustion doesn't get filtered out and the oil gets pretty dirty in 500 or 1000 miles so I like to change my oil fairly often.  I stick with mineral based oils in my 1923 Studebaker for that reason.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

if it is a survivor engine (not completely rebuilt/tanked in last half century or more) you may want to consider using non detergent oil (NAPA). The sludge starts to break down with detergent oils, and the dirt in it can mess up bearings. ZDDP additive is available from SI by the way. 

Our comparatively modern '41 President has 57k on an original engine and has 40 psi hot at highway speeds, and I hope to keep it that way. My confidence in the partial flow filter for keeping dissolved sludge out of the crank bearings is low... the l

prior owner's son admonished me to use non detergent oil and I haven't found any reason to disagree with him.

Use a good 30 weight or 20-40 detergent oil if you believe the pan has been off as said. You could drop the pan just for your confidence and get to know the workings of the internal engine parts. Check the bearings while in there. Non detergent oil is only recommended with old sludge pot engines! All filters will clean the oil over time.

Hadn't thought about the use/non-use of detergent oil...I'm sure the engine has never been apart, but the previous owner (a mechanic) who had the car for five years told me he dropped the oil pan when he got it and cleaned it out good-I know him and have no reason not to believe him.  Anyway, in my naivety and at the risk of removing sludge that may be helping in such an old engine, would it be beneficial to run the engine a short time with detergent oil, then replace it with non-detergent oil?  

I know it would cost a few bucks and some labor, but wondering what your opinions were on that.

2 hours ago, Kfigel said:

The previous owner (a mechanic) who had the car for five years told me he dropped the oil pan when he got it and cleaned it out good-I know him and have no reason not to believe him. Would it be beneficial to run the engine a short time with detergent oil, then replace it with non-detergent oil?  

wondering what your opinions were on that.

Use and keep using modern detergent oil. you won't harm a thing. Add an oil filter if you feel the need. What oil did the previous owner use?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1