Correct removal /installation trim - 1965 Riv

moran75

Hi all

Re. specifically the two straight strips either side of rear wheel well - one to bumper and other to door.

I understand they are fastened by what some people refer to as ‘bath tub’ style fasteners/clips.

Ive read a ref to the mouldings SLIDING off these ‘bath tubs’ - rather than being forced off by sliding one of those trim removing tools underneath and forcing them off OUTWARDS, if you see what I mean.

Just to double check is the sliding method of removal/Installation correct ? After removing curved wheel well trim first of course.....

thanks in advance 

Kev

2 hours ago, moran75 said:

Hi all

Re. specifically the two straight strips either side of rear wheel well - one to bumper and other to door.

I understand they are fastened by what some people refer to as ‘bath tub’ style fasteners/clips.

Ive read a ref to the mouldings SLIDING off these ‘bath tubs’ - rather than being forced off by sliding one of those trim removing tools underneath and forcing them off OUTWARDS, if you see what I mean.

Just to double check is the sliding method of removal/Installation correct ? After removing curved wheel well trim first of course.....

thanks in advance 

Kev

Hi Kev,

Attached is a picture of one of those fasteners (ignore the rivet). I have seen those trim moldings taken off by sliding and I have also seen them taken off by gently prying the upper or lower lip off and then lifting the other lip off.  I have seen them attached using sliding method and also seen them reattached by hooking the upper or lower lip and then applying gentle pressure, up or down, to slip the other lip in place. I personally, like the prying/pushing method better as with the sliding I am worried about catching an edge, some of which are sharp and scratching the paint. Using the other method one has to be careful not to damage the trim piece.

Bill

IMG_6792.JPG

• Thanks 1

Bill is CORRECT that the moldings come off with a gentle prying on the top or bottom of the piece & a gentle tap replacing them as Bill has stated.  

Then again the plastic clips that hold them in place are 50+ years old so they might not be as fleible as they once were. More than likely you will have to procure new plastic clips.

• Thanks 1