Did not get a mile on it before this happened - new radiator/fan

junkyardjeff

Put the radiator back in the original location in my 55 sunliner and was fine idling on the garage but the fan hit the tadistor by the time I got to the end of the street,I am glad it was a cheap aluminum version instead of a expensive original.   I thought I had enough room but one blade was bent,another has been ordered along with a new fan and shorter spacer.

20210225_182639.jpg

I am in the process of getting a original engine ready to go in and cant wait to get it in,I installed a 351-W and it just does not fit right with the kit I used.  I need a radiator with a cooler right now so I figured I would get it in before the 272 is ready to go in.  Looking back I should have gotten that 6000 mile 1969 390 as it would have fit better and less modifications or just found a 312.

Checked that first and no movement,the fan does not sit centered in the radiator and is not sitting level to the radiator.  The engine is sitting down in the rear causing more room at the top of the radiator between the fan then at the bottom,when I put that engine in I put the radiator in the six cylinder position giving me plenty of room but now I want it in the correct location.

22 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Did you check the motor mounts? Possibly the engine moved once you started to drive.

Sorry to hear about your problem,

I was thinking along the same line as Joe, could the water pump have some in and out play? and when the fan is pulling it pulls the shaft forward? 

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Did not get a mile on it before this happened - new radiator/fan