Pre War judging

a griffin

How finite are the judging regulations when looking at prewar cars? I have had several other cars judged and they did very well. I know usually lights are expected to be functioning, what about functioning wiper motors, cigarette lighters? Can I expect a deduction on a car with a driver operated spotlight, mounted in the a-pillar, that appears to have been installed when the car was new? I've seen vintage photos of cars of the same manufacture and body style both with and without the spotlight.

In AACA National judging, the function of accessories and lights is not tested, but the vehicle must drive onto the show field under it's own power.  Ted is correct on the spotlight.  You should find factory documentation that it is a factory accessory.  These spotlights were very popular aftermarket items and many were installed new by dealers, but for judging, you will need to document it as a factory accessory, not an aftermarket item.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 61polara said:

In AACA National judging, the function of accessories and lights is not tested, but the vehicle must drive onto the show field under it's own power.  Ted is correct on the spotlight.  You should find factory documentation that it is a factory accessory.  These spotlights were very popular aftermarket items and many were installed new by dealers, but for judging, you will need to document it as a factory accessory, not an aftermarket item.

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH......

Your my new friend! HAHAHAHA I was wondering if I could get a basic question answered and you've done it. Thanks. 

I've got a car in the works that, according to an expert has a wiper motor that is unobtainable, not repairable, etc. I was wondering the pains I was going to have to go through on laying out and machining a wiper motor to keep from loosing a few points due to operation.

The spotlight would be difficult to verify as factory vs. dealer, even though it was in place when new.

Edited by a griffin (see edit history)

A Griffin - Here are the rules for judging

2020_Judging_Guidelines.pdf (aaca.org)

There's a ton of information in there for new members who have not shown their vehicles.  Honestly, it can be a bit confusing, however, go through the index and see where your car fits in. Read through it, then ask questions if it isn't clear :)

• Like 3

A Griffin, part of the process of restoring a car is the research in authenticating it.  Trust me, I have done several extremely rare cars and have searched for years and years to find the necessary documentation.  When found it is an immense source of satisfaction. There is a wealth of knowledge out there on pre-war cars and you may find out that the accessory was offered as a dealer installed option.  You just have to chase the information and a good place to start is the AACA Library.  Don't give up!

• Like 2

Steve,

Thanks. For now I have opted to remove the spotlight and will continue on with the restoration. If Im able to find the proper documentation for this light at a later time, I can redrill the a-pillar and reinstall the restored light.

Thanks to those that commented.

• Like 1