1953 Dodge Meadowbrook

Crisjr14

So I am trying to find if someone out there can help me out please on my '53 I'm doing brakes all the way around and I am going to go all right handed threads on the studs but here is my issue I have all but one drum that DOES NOT want to come off for nothing I have tried heat PB Blaster let it soak over night and still cannot pull it off I have pushed the studs thru to the inside of drum all the hardware is loose so I'm pretty sure that I might have destroyed the passenger side drum as well as the driver side if I can ever get it off so my questions are what else can I do to remove that darn drum or where I can probably buy a set I'm thinking I can probably get away with just the drums and still use the hubs that go inside and buying new ones is way out of my reach $400 and up pop r if anyone knows what drums interchange with that year or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you attached are pictures of what I'm up against 

16119489943592590127622677646427.jpg

16119490403413616705650807734802.jpg

There have been many threads on this problem.  The usual answer is the best puller you can find along with the biggest hammer and just whack the sh....out of it.  One theory was heat, of course with the hammer.  Another was to hammer it and give it time to loosen while the pressure is applied.  Hard to do that with a rental tool.

Are you whacking the drum or the puller tool? Don’t whack the drum. 

Is there an option of re-installing all drums. The stubborn one, back the nut off, but not all the way. Leave the nut on a few threads. Drive the car around in an open safe area. Turn in circles to put stress on the stubborn drum. So it tends to want to separate, away from the axle. Tires on pavement will maintain good stress, as opposed to dirt road.  I’m imagining swerving a moderate speeds. With enough driving and lateral stress, it may pop free. The nut will protect the drum from falling right off. 

Not ideal. But neither is wrecking the drum in other failed attempts. 

Are you trying to get the hub off the axle or the drum off the hub? If it's the hub off the rear axle and

if it's really that ornery tighten the puller up good then put some heat from an acetylene torch  around the hub near the axel. Don't overdo it and get it so hot that the hub can warp like RED HOT.  A couple of treatments will dislodge the worst hub. And no, don't beat on the brake drum. 

61polara I understand that and we had the correct puller on it and couldnt get it budge at all popped the studs threw now the drum turns but that hub is stuck on the spindle shaft I guess u would call it and now I am using a 7 ton and a 4 ton claw puller i also just got a bottle of acetylene and hose with tip to try and add more heat and see if i can break it free 16119490403413616705650807734802.thumb.jpg.489557e8dac2dd2abbf221aed1cbcebc.jpg

You really need the correct hub puller which attaches to 3 of the wheel studs. You can tension them up then whack the end with a hammer to dislodge the hub. There is also caps that come with - if they're not lost, to screw on the threads to protect them.  You can use the nut on bcakwards but not as good as the caps.  These hubs are on a taper and can be a real  pull. 

Someone will have one you may be able to borrow or rent or whatever, If it's like mine you would have to get it from the last guy that borrowed it. 

Pulling on the brake drum will not work. you will only destroy the drum.

• Like 1

Crisjr14  The 3 jaw puller you show above will only warp the drum and never remove it.  You have to use the puller that Keith shows in his video that attaches to 3 studs.  Now that you have driven the studs in you don't have anything to attach the puller to.  Now that you have the hub seperated from the drum you will need a much larger gear puller attached behind the hub with a hammer pad on the end.  Not a cheap tool.  You will need to still follow the steps in Keith's video with that tool.  You need to be hitting the cross bar with a small sledge hammer to get it loose.  Tighten it, hit it and wait an hour or so.  Come back and hit it again a few times and wait.  Keep this up until it pops off.  The puller you have doesn't have the strength to pull this hub.

• Like 1