Mystery

nzcarnerd

A little sleuthing should narrow it down. 6 cyl engine in 2 blocks of 6, unusual front engine gear driven water pump, perhaps magnito, interesting "over-flywheel" crossmember, chassis very robust, interesting inward sloping body mounting brackets, very high mounted steering wheel, Michelin tires (passenger side looks new, driver side used). I'm guessing circa 1905-1910, likely Italian, Fiat, Itala, etc.

I believe this is an experimental chassis. There are no holes drilled for mounting a radiator. The front springs mount inside the frame at the rear??? And the frame has that step out like a Mercer. Very few cars had this frame design. It is possibly a race car under construction.

After some sleuthing around on the internet, I believe this is a product of the Mercer Motor Company. The frame appears very close to the early model 35 cars. The brace mentioned earlier would fit the footboard in the raceabout. This chassis, if it is Mercer, has been fitted with a different motor. The model 35 had the 4 cylinder T head motor. I have met a guy that told me Mercer did not use the T head exclusively, they also used other motors. Notice the front cross member of the below car and compare with the cross member above.

1913 Mercer Model 35
Edited by AHa (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, AHa said:
Another close up of the front cross member.
1913 Mercer Model 35
Mercer went to a  L head six in 1923.

Of course there is no guarantee the mystery chassis is American. Whether there are any clues to the location in either the architecture of the building, or in the clothes of the men I don't know.

The firing order appears to be 421523 and the one is just a straight mark. I don't see anything that would indicate what country the picture was taken in. The resemblance to the Mercer frame would be uncanny if it were not a mercer.

No. Firing order is written 124653. Your interpretation would fire no 2 cyl twice , and 6 unfired. I have spent many years living abroad, please accept my experience. Probably could hear from far flung corroboration here.  The first number is unambiguously 1, it is quite simply how much of the world writes it. Essentially, this proves the picture was taken outside of the USA, as per nz’ suggestion. Wonder how 1 is written in N.Z.  ?    -   CC

• Like 1