1933 Dodge - (when sold) what options were considered (upper class)???

Sactownog

1933 Dodge Brothers offered options on there vehicles. what class would these options be considered back in 1933. 

-exterior: dual side mounts, painted luggage trunk, fog lights, dual windshield wipers. 

-Interior: Mole Hair, Fo-Wood painted dash/door trim, rear seat foot rest bar that goes forward or backward, interior heater

engine: 230 flathead 6, I think it was offered with a 218 flat 6 also. 

just curious, I have been looking into Dodge Brothers history and cant find much on the status that these cars carried compared to other high end 33 cars. 

The Dodge Brothers had never aspired to build an “Upper Class” car as you put it. 
In the words of the Dodge Brothers, “Dependable” was used the most.

The Dodge Brothers were focussed very much on mass production and their dealership network was the envy of all, in 1920 Dodge was second in the USA in production numbers.

The untimely early demise of both Brothers in 1920 caused a decline and in 1928 Dodge Brothers was sold to Chrysler, another company focussed on numbers rather than “Class”

The 1933 Dodge was a car in the Chrysler range which included Plymouth and Desoto as well as Chrysler and Imperial cars.

The “Class” in 1933 as you put it was based on price with Plymouth the cheapest, Dodge came next followed by Desoto, Chrysler and Imperial.

Adding extras like twin spare mounts etc was simply a way of “value adding”

Rolls Royce, Cord, Duesenberg, Packard, Cadillac, they would be examples of “Upper Class” cars perhaps.

Yours sincerly, a classless enthusiast.

• Like 2

Dodge was never a high end car.  When Chrysler acquired Dodge they rolled it into the vehicle line hierarchy.  Plymouth for the thrifty, Dodge if wanted a bit more power and styling, then DeSoto for a bit more than Dodge, then the Chrysler line up.  At the very top was the Imperial.

In 1933 America was in the depths of the Great Depression.  Showing off your wealth with an ostentatious luxury car like Imperial/Packard/Duesenberg could result in vandalism of your car or worse.  A lot of luxury car owners garaged their cars, keeping them out of sight of the general public.

The rarity of options like dual side-mounted spare tires today speaks to the uncommon nature of those options way back when.  They cost a lot of money at a time when most of the population didn't have money to spare.  This is why a lot of old guys grouch about the fact that so many restored cars today have whitewall tires.  They cost extra and most owners didn't want to pay that extra money.

Being independent wealthy (LOL) I intend to put wide whitewall tires on my D2 sedan.  Call me a rebel.

• Like 3

I have a ‘38 Plymouth. For reasons mentioned here, my recent brand-new bias tires were blackwall. Never once did I consider WW tires for my ‘38 car. My Plymouth, the cheapest of the Mopar line up. Now, my ‘53 Chrysler? Absolutely. Wide whitewalls. 

Spare tires got me thinking. By the mid- 30’s were flats still a very common thing? I could see flats being a major problem for early horseless carriages. There were horses losing shoes and nails everywhere on roads. 

I just cannot imagine WW tires on this car. 

9CE524A3-0D8F-4912-AF33-A5612AAF61B2.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As those above have mentioned Dodge was 2nd from the bottom of Chrysler's lineup above Plymouth and below DeSoto and Chrysler. I can speak for 1932 as that is the model year that I own. In 1932  the styling between Chrysler and Dodge were very very similar, but it was obvious that Chrysler was the higher brand. For comparison depending on body style you could by a Dodge DL (6 Cylinder) for $795-895 or the Chrysler CL (6 Cylinder) for $865-1125; or you could by a Dodge DK (8 Cylinder) for $1115-1185 or the Chrysler CP (8 Cylinder) for $1435- 1695. So much like today you could buy the most expensive Dodge and be priced above the cheapest Chrysler and of course the reverse is also true. As comments above mention with 1932-33 being the roughest of the depression years many consumers wished not to be boastful in the face of those snuggling, but didn't want to give up the refinements they where accustomed, so they would option for the top of the line Dodge instead of the Chrysler.   

If you look at the Specifications of the 1932 Dodge DK 8 sales brochure the 'Note' section list the available extras that you could add onto your vehicle purchase. I've included a scan on that section for your reference and a picture of my 1932 DK 8.  

JPEG image 12.jpeg

IMG_8143 2.JPG

Edited by Kblake (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sactownog, Have you sent away for the build card of your car? My 36 Dodge was similarly loaded with options which, during the depression made me wonder, why?You might be in for a story like mine.

After the Dodge was painted, I saw a small card under the springs on the rear seat back. It read “San Francisco show” handwritten in cursive. By itself it meant nothing until I got the build card which told me Oct 15, 1935 build date, shipped to San Francisco dealer ship on Van Ness Ave., welled fenders, 6 WWW tires, radio, dual wipers, dual tail lights, chrome disc wheel options. The SF auto show is in November so I’d have to believe a Dodge with so many options was special ordered for the auto show. I would be nice to get a photo of the Dodge display at the show too. But that’s asking for too much.

Covid has probably shut down the research department, but that build card might answer a few questions like mine did. Good luck.

• Like 4