hood adjustement- riviera 1966

cquisuila

Those 4 spots you pointed to & two more spots hidden by the hood spring. ANY moving part needs lubrication. 1st. with penetrating oils like PBlaster or WD40.  Move the hood up & down MANY times Then wash off & spray it with powered graphite.  Will operate so much MORE smoothly & MAY just solve the problem of replacing hinges or sending them out to get rebuilt.

Tom T.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you adjusted the hinges? The bolts holding them on should be on slots that you can adjust. the adjustment

that pulls the hood down the lowest would be the rear of the hinge as high as it will go and the front of the hinge as low as it will go.

If they won't adjust, the hinges need new rivets installed i.e. they need to be rebuilt.

13 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

I am having this exact same issue with my 64 hinges. Here's a pic of the rear of the hood where it won't settle down. I'm going try what's suggested here to see if it fixes it. 20210124_174938.thumb.jpg.41c8fee6669b52a8c8b9704f05c00739.jpg

Make sure the pivot points of the hinges are well lubricated so the hinge lays down properly BEFORE you attempt adjustments.

Tom Mooney

1 hour ago, 64Rivvy said:

I put pb blaster on all all the pivot points last night. Just to make sure I'm clear.  To pull the rear of the hood down flush, does the rear of the hinge that mounts to the firewall need to slide up or down?  

Should be a solid attachment. No movement other than the pivots in the hinge.

Thanks. Yeah i meant adjust up or down. I put pb blaster on there to free things up and I've sprayed white lithium grease into all of the pivot and moving parts. Will try adjusting it again tomorrow. 

Cquisuila, i was trying to confirm bc it seems like your diagram is the opposite of what seafoam was saying. Trying to figure out if I need to raise the rear of the hinge up or down.  I tried playong around with them earlier today and the hood didn't seem to change much so wondering if maybe they need to be rebuilt or replaced. Will try again tomorrow. 

I just tried adjusting them every which way. Moderate improvement but still bad. My driver side hinge looks to be bent bc it’s not sitting flush to the firewall. Pass side is better but I probably need to find some rebuilt hinges. Pulling the rear of the hinge at the firewall side down and the front of the hinge towards front of car up lowered the rear of the hood the most, but still about a 1/4 inch off. 

cquisuila,

I just read this again and wanted to correct my last post. Your last diagram was actually correct, not the diagram earlier in the post.

Pushing the rear of the hinge that mounts onto the firewall down, and the front of the hinge that is toward the front of the car up, pulls the rear of the hood (closest to windshield) down more flush with the fenders.  

Yes that diagram  is correct based on my experience just doing trying this.

Would be good for one of the other guys with more experience adjusting these to confirm your diagram since my experience is limited to adjusting hinges that look to be bent. Thanks for the diagram. Very helpful for anyone referring back to this thread. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Standard washers require the removal,of the entire bolt. Look hard for some of the shims. The shims come in varying widths making it easy to make small or large adjustments. By using the slide in shims, you can loosen a bolt and insert the shim without losing your hood to fender or hood to cowl alignment.  Don’t try to cut corners. Trying to cut corners puts you into the 2X2 club.   “fix it twice for twice the cost as if I would have done it correctly the first time.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...