Greetings and Questions

Power-Orc

Hello all, I'm new here. I'm not yet a Reatta owner, but I've got the bug bad and I'm on the hunt! I wanted to ask y'all a few questions and hopefully benefit from the community's experience.

1: Any opinions on what a non-stock, non-factory color convertible top might do to a '91 Reatta's value? It's a very tasteful red top added to a white convertible and it was installed by East Coast Reattas, who I believe are well regarded around here, yeah? The unit I'm looking at also has modded white Reatta wheels that are not quite as tasteful as the ragtop.

2: Do you guys think that, in 2021, its better to buy a more unrestored Reatta for cheap and just make repairs later or is it better to buy a more expensive Reatta that has already had some mechanical repairs and restoration? I know that the availability of parts and qualified mechanics was a major issue in the past, but has the internet more or less fixed those problems? Is it still a huge pain-in-the-butt to get a Reatta repaired? I'm in the Midwest, by the way. 

3: Any thoughts on this beautiful Reatta that sold at Mecum today? https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-442454/1990-buick-reatta-convertible/

Thanks so much and nice to meet y'all!

I will try and answer your questions....

(1)  For judging in the BCA.... a 1990 Reatta can have a white, black, tan, blue or red top.     We believe that only one red and one blue top were installed on very early 1990 convertibles and there is documentation that they 

were available,  but to my knowledge a car has not been found that has documentation that it came with red or blue.    Also the red ( like the interior) were more burgundy than bright red... so it comes down to the owners

choice.   For 1991 there was not record of blue being offered but early Product Manuals showed red,  but  1991 production convertibles were made in early 1991 and again no production cars have surfaced with a red top and

if they were offered, they would be the brighter red than 1990.    White wheels were a 1991 option ($100) on any white Reatta.    BCA judging does not check the Service Parts label during judging,  so white wheels could be

added to any 1991 white coupe or convertible. 

(2)  My opinion is always buy the best car you can afford.    Even the nice cars may have something that you want to improver or change.   If possible stay away from cars that were driven in the rust belt,  Reattas do not have major rust problems unless they have been used a lot in the winter.     Reattas and Rivieras share a lot of parts ...electronics, suspension, engine, AC,  ....some parts are also the same on Toronado, Eldorado, and Seville.  

When it come to parts, the body panels and glass are the unique parts,  but at this time there are still a lot of replacement parts available,  you just need to know where to go. 

(3)  What did it sell for?   I was sent the vin number and did a little looking.... it did not have the 16 way seat option or CD player, so it was a "basic" 1990 low mileage convertible. 

I talked to a long time Reatta owner in South Caroline yesterday that has a 1991 convertible for sale,  don't know the mileage or color but I think it is red.   PM me if you want to contact him. 

• Like 2

Hi Barney, thanks for your answers and advice. I definitely think the red convertible top on the Reatta I’m looking at is an aftermarket job, since the dealer mentioned having the service receipt for a new top. As for the Mecum auction, it sold for $22,000! You’re right, it was a base model without PS or CD player, but it sure was pretty to look at. I just thought that was a surprisingly high price, based on my 2-3 months experience hunting for Reattas. I’ll PM you about that SC tip, thanks!

Yes apparently there were two of them in the audience.

Personally think that particular car was kind of boring compared to a SS but the 20k miles were desirable to someone.

I sold my 90 White/Blue/Blue with Haartz top & both options for about a 1/4 that but was about a year ago. Did have a BT radio (but nothing cut and included a good factory radio) and 16x7 wheels.

So bottom line: the market is showing signs of going nertz lately and since an international vacation is Right Out that leaves discretionary coins for many who aren't broke.

blutopfrt.jpg

• Like 1

Once again we see a Reatta selling for fantastic money - this is without doubt becoming not an unusual occurrence on right cars,  OK naysayers, go at it 

My opinion is the same as Barney's, when buying one, always buy the very best Reatta you can afford.  Try to find one with the 16 way seats, it's worth the wait.  

• Like 1

I am old enough to remember putting washers under the front mounting bolts to get the front of the seat positioned to my liking. 

That would be '50's and '60's chevys and a power seat was a rare option.

From the data we have about half the Reattas built had the 16 way option.    

You can also use the seats from a Riviera but finding a color match might be difficult. 

There is a good chance that Eldorado and Seville seats will bolt in place again, matching colors will be difficult.