Cassette tape stuck in 88

Bertimus

Tried out the original door ejecting cassette player on my 88 today. Was really excited at the prospect of having a reason to make mixtapes again, but unfortunately not only did the cassette not play, it became stuck. The door still opens about halfway and exposes the tape, but the tape is somehow lodged. It also makes a repetitive click noise when attempting to open. And now the click noise happens right when I start the car and also after I turn off the car. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of cassette players, so any help on how to get the cassette out would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏽

@Bertimus

It's been many years since I had to remove a stuck cassette, but I remember propping the door open and gently lifting the cassette unit off the drive capstans.

If the tape has wrapped around the guides or is unraveled into the unit, that probably won't work.

I think the safest (least destructive) method is to remove the unit from the car and disassemble the housing so you can see exactly how to dislodge the tape.

I agree with Padgett; new drive belts usually restore functionality.

• Thanks 1

I'm not too worried about the cassette itself, or about using the cassette player ever again, in all honesty I just loved showcasing that the cassette door would open with the touchscreen 😂 so if I have to sacrifice the tape it's no biggie. Thank you all for your input so far! So happy to be part of the Reatta community 🙏🏽

16 hours ago, Bertimus said:

@95Cardinal excuse my ignorance, but what are drive capstans? 

I believe the drive capstans are the two pointy things (aka posts) that the cassette tape wheels rest on.  They turn the cassette wheels.

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The Capstans are the drive posts that act on the tape itself, the tape being pinched between the capstan and a rubber roller. 

The spindles that the tape reels are on are take up reels. One free wheels while the other "takes up" the tape after it leaves the capstan/head area. They reverse roles on some cassette decks, so you do not have to take the cassette out and put it in the other way for side B. These types also have two capstans.

Capstans are also on ships, hence where the tape recorder use came from.

• Thanks 3

On 12/13/2020 at 11:57 PM, Frank DuVal said:

The Capstans are the drive posts that act on the tape itself, the tape being pinched between the capstan and a rubber roller. 

The spindles that the tape reels are on are take up reels. One free wheels while the other "takes up" the tape after it leaves the capstan/head area. They reverse roles on some cassette decks, so you do not have to take the cassette out and put it in the other way for side B. These types also have two capstans.

Capstans are also on ships, hence where the tape recorder use came from.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:44 PM, Bertimus said:

@95Cardinal excuse my ignorance, but what are drive capstans? 

Frank's got it!