1933 "Rockne" Studebaker - $5,000 (Oxnard)

Runs and drives.

rockne.jpg.e5bb8b3002177fb545700c12f8950c02.jpg

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/port-hueneme-cbc-base-1933-rockne/7242996796.html

1933 "Rockne" Model 10 sedan built by Studebaker in South Bend Indiana.

Been siting awhile but runs and drives. New tires, extra engine and transmission. Electric fuel pump and new alternator. Clean title registered as no op.

If add is up car is still available.

Patrick (818) 451-8108

Thanks Jack, I currently have two under construction and my eye on a third. But cash flow has slowed due to covid shut down. I think it's a buyer's market right now, unfortunately I can't afford to be one.

I have to ask ... It seems like we have some 1933 Rockne owners in this conversation. I've never owned a prewar car. How much are you able to drive these in modern traffic? What is stop speed with reasonable stopping margin? Not talking about such a car as a daily driver, just an occasional cruiser in city traffic.

1 hour ago, Peter S said:

I have to ask ... It seems like we have some 1933 Rockne owners in this conversation. I've never owned a prewar car. How much are you able to drive these in modern traffic? What is stop speed with reasonable stopping margin? Not talking about such a car as a daily driver, just an occasional cruiser in city traffic.

It's an 87-year-old car with mechanical brakes and a 70 HP motor, so I'd only drive one (in top condition) on the freeway as much as absolutely necessary, and only in the slow lane, just fast enough to be legal. As far as stopping distance, drive it as you would drive a modern vehicle pulling a heavy trailer (or a car in the snow), leaving several car lengths (distance adjusted for speed) between you and  the car in front. 

Old cars are better driven away from city traffic. I only drive in it if I have to, to get someplace without city traffic.

Here's a '33 Rockne brochure: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Studebaker/1933 Studebaker/1933 Rockne 10 Brochure/image7.html

As far as stopping goes, old cars with good 4 wheel drum brakes will stop as well as a modern car with 4 wheel drum brakes year round and other brakes in dry weather. Old cars with mechanical brakes are able to lock up all the wheels, you just don't have any ABS system so you will need to pump the brakes in a panic stop.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

• 1 year later...