Early Chrysler identification

JRA

Hi All, Imam struggling to identify this Chrysler, my puzzles are: headlights, folding windshield, lack of cowl lights, instrument cluster and fedco plate above it. What do you think? 
thanks

JRA

94FA36D9-B088-40FA-8569-0DF2A9D6CDF1.jpeg

3FADA414-2F30-4378-9DFC-1FC3E077424D.jpeg

A85CFCF9-C11C-4FFE-B0DD-A5A277CA2B7F.jpeg

E08FC8E5-A46A-4FAE-8EBD-B935E6EDABD4.jpeg

33E0A822-3A75-4BA4-94AA-A2BD5094A584.jpeg

C2D17BD8-D274-49B6-8D02-F5203B3C2010.jpeg

716ACA6C-4604-4462-AF00-0A63B4AE378C.jpeg

Edited by JRA (see edit history)

I own a Chrysler 62 roadster and it does not have folding windshield posts.

I also recently bought another gage panel that looks like a model 62, but it is subtly different.

Best way to identify your car is to give us the numbers and letters off the fedco plate, and also the engine number that is on the front timing chain cover between the generator and waterpump

3 hours ago, viv w said:

I own a Chrysler 62 roadster and it does not have folding windshield posts.

I also recently bought another gage panel that looks like a model 62, but it is subtly different.

Best way to identify your car is to give us the numbers and letters off the fedco plate, and also the engine number that is on the front timing chain cover between the generator and waterpump

Add to that the wheelbase dimension?

I've been looking at pictures on the web tonight trying to figure out more details on the 28/29 Chryslers. The cars built during these years varied a lot and there are so many differences from one car to another, that it becomes very interesting.

The model 52 and 62 used the same wheel base, but one is 4cyl and one is 6 cylinder, they both had the fedco numbers directly above the gage cluster, but the series 52 gages were individually mounted into the dash and the model 62 were removable as a complete cluster. The 1929 model 65 has the fedco plate on the left side of the dash and not above the gage cluster.

The 28 model 62 and 29 model 65 gages look identical to each other, but they are not the same, you have to look really close to see the differences. I may try and take some pictures to show the differences.

Now Damman's book, 70 years of Chrysler, says only the 4 cylinder model 52 has those interesting color inserts on some of the roadster and phaeton doors, but I know for a fact that some model 52 had the color inserts and some did not, as I've owned 2 of them, one with the insert and the other without. So is Damman wrong by saying the model 62 did not have the color inserts on the roadsters and tourers?

Another thing in Damann's book, says the light switch on model 62 was at the bottom of the steering column, this may be correct on left hand drive but on my right hand drive the light switch is on the dash panel and only 2 levers are on the steering centre for adv/retard and hand throttle, plus there is only room for 2 control rods down the column. The parts book confirms the light switch for LHD and RHD are different.

Now, looking at the car of JRA, the headlights are the same as mine and look correct for model 62. Model 62 open cars do not appear to have had cowl lights. The fedco plate is in the right place, but I can't see the gage panel clearly enough to determine if the gage panel is 28 or 29. The interesting color insert on the doors does not appear in any articles I have, but could be correct. All the photo's I have of model 62 roadsters do not have a folding windscreen post. The hubcaps appear to be 1929 style. The car has been re upholstered at some time and the pattern is not correct. Otherwise the car is a very nice one. The only way to determine what you have is from the fedco and motor numbers. It is hard to figure out with these 90+ year old cars ,what is original and what is wrong. The car has obviously been restored at some time in its past and incorrect stuff may have been fitted. One does not know if a previous owner changed the doors for some off a model 52 as he fancied the inserts, or perhaps it came from the factory or dealer with the inserts originally. The hubcaps may have been changed for newer style or it may be a very late 28 that left the factory with them. It is anyone's guess on all these things.

Just curious, I think until the numbers are revealed we won't know for sure. 

To me the car looks to have a wheelbase longer than 109". I reckon it might be a 72, on the 118 3/4" wheelbase. A pity we can't see the front axle - it is tubular on the 70 cars and I beam on the smaller ones I think. 

The first photo  is a late Model 62 with a one piece windshield and the door insert.

The 2nd is of a Model 72 notice the cowl lights and the headlights have a conduit from the bottom of the lights to the frame both missing on the 62.

The door detail is extended on the 72 compared to the 62.

1928 Mod 62.jpg

28 Chrysler.jpg