1966 Riviera grille, N.O.S., decades of storage, offering it here first

Pete Phillips

Mint condition 1966 Riviera grille, offering it here first, before I put it on Ebay. Die-cast with no pits, no cracks. Headlight portion not included because all I have of those are used parts.

$450 plus shipping. You would spend that to get a used one replated.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

IMG_9809.JPG

IMG_9814.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PWB said:

Deal of the decade!

Congrats to all

Thanks Paul...by the time packing and shipping is covered it may be a little less of a deal but I have been looking for an NOS grille for over a decade so I`m just grateful Pete offered it here and to find it 👍 Thanks Pete!

Tom

• Like 1

Wow unbelievable item. Very rare to find and dirt cheap in my opinion. I paid $800 to get one plated several years ago and am sure it would be $1000 now not to mention the many hours of detail work to paint the argent and black exactly like factory did. The plater told me not to bring him another one! when it comes to the 66/67 grilles there is no substitute for NOS.

I'd only ship that in a wooden crate. 

Tom you are very quick on the draw! And yes I recall it has been over 10 years that you have been looking! I think 12 anyway

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Wow unbelievable item. Very rare to find and dirt cheap in my opinion. I paid $800 to get one plated several years ago and am sure it would be $1000 now not to mention the many hours of detail work to paint the argent and black exactly like factory did. The plater told me not to bring him another one! when it comes to the 66/67 grilles there is no substitute for NOS.

I'd only ship that in a wooden crate. 

Tom you are very quick on the draw! And yes I recall it has been over 10 years that you have been looking! I think 12 anyway

As I wrote to Pete, my `66 has a replate in it now, done by a previous owner, and I`ve never been satisfied with it. I expressed my apprehension about shipping to Pete and he is using a packing service that he has confidence in so hopefully things will go well.

Ironically, I have had a `67 NOS grille for all this time and I actually considered converting my `66 to a `67 grille. I like what the horizontal line does for the perception of the overall look...makes it lower and wider to my eye. But I`m glad I didnt so hopefully an undamaged `66 grille will find a new home.

Being quick on the draw was just a function of taking it easy for a day or two and more time in front of the laptop....I`ve been working too hard for a retired old fart! Just dumb luck....

Tom

My replacement NOS grill came crated.

Too easy to crack without support.

You don’t want to see those belts at the shipping hubs and they literally throw them in the trucks by hand but occasionally get dropped

Seasonal help during holidays 

ugh

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PWB said:

My replacement NOS grill came crated.

Too easy to crack without support.

You don’t want to see those belts at the shipping hubs and they literally throw them in the trucks by hand but occasionally get dropped

Seasonal help during holidays 

ugh

Hi Paul,

I spent nearly 4 decades at a very large shipping company, think Brown, and initially a small slice of that time was spent in the parcel processing division. I think most people`s image of delivery companies is that their packages are hand carried from initial pickup to destination. That is the case with "bulk" sorted items which are oversize or odd shaped and cannot be processed in the normal manner. Your mention of a crated item is a good example of a "bulk" item. But in reality the majority of the packages are sorted through the facilities on high speed belt "highways". If there is a "jam" on those belts, which is inevitable, before the belts can be shut down and the jam relieved, packages build up at an alarming rate and can create tremendous pressure and damages. Now there are cameras, etc, which monitor every inch of the process so the damages are minimized...but they still happen.

For a short time I managed the Q.C. (quality control) center in our hub. We were located very close to a large GM warehouse and typically processed 2 or 3 tractor trailer loads of service parts per shift. GM was by far our largest damage claim due to the odd sized nature of the parts but also the completely inadequate preparation. The damage claims accounts were beyond the 6 digit level per year. Think wheel lip moldings wrapped only in thin paper, loose sheetmetal, etc...it created chaos in our system. The solution was to form a management team which partnered with GM to better prepare the items for shipping and custom tailor the manner in which we processed their items in our system. The only factor any one individual can affect is the preparation.

It`s especially important to package an item for shipping very, very well between Thanksgiving and February when the volume sky rockets. This pandemic will most probably add to that time frame as so much business has been being conducted on line.

Tom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Interesting post Tom.  It give us background into what goes on behind the scenes in shipping companies, and a reminder to pack well anything we ship just in case one of those inevitable jams happens when our package is on the belt!