Question - 55 Century stick trans

billbuickgs

I have a 54 and 55 manual. Both are similar in appearance. Only difference I see in each is the input shaft.  However, the 55 could have had it's input shaft replaced at one time. The numbers in the front and rear cases are part numbers. Nothing to indicate the transmission is original to the car.

31 minutes ago, billbuickgs said:

Thanks ,

I thought that  Century and Super had a stronger trans then the

Specials , something about the top plate was different .

Bill

Yes, the larger body does have a different transmission.  It is a 6 bolt top cover where the smaller body has the 5 bolt top cover.  The internals are different as well.   From my understanding the larger 6 bolt will fit a small body without much issue.     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

My poisonaal experiance(stuff I actually dun) 1954Century coarse splines driveshaft front and U-joint same length 1955Century same length 1956 Special same trans, butt U-joint fine splines(bolts on and can bolt on coarse spline from 54-55 interchanceably). Clear as mudd, right? Other sticks in Super54&55 same trans different length cast rear extention housig and shaft(real rare) One Super 2dr ht with ps near I, sold and went to Sweden couple years ago now. All 6 bolt top covers. '56 stick only avaiable in Special, but all 322s so no "small",(5 bolt cover) transmissions. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, EmTee said:
On 11/21/2020 at 1:07 PM, billbuickgs said:

and Estate Wagon .

I'd love to see (and maybe own) one of those!  ;)

If you ever pass through Fredericksburg, VA, stop by and see mine. Rusty now, but all there. It was a hoot to drive, I called it my Muscle Car. 455, 370 advertised horsepower. Factory painted Rivera code 28 metallic blue with white roof.

GREAT SNOW CAR!

Explains the rust issue...........😳

Thought about buying a rust free automatic and swapping parts....   Someday.......

Bill, yours looks GREAT!👍

• Like 2