1988 White/red coupe for sale on Hemmings

Barney Eaton

Just a flag to those that do not get Hemmings daily..... 

This looks like a good buy if it doesn't get much higher...   located in Canton OH

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1988-buick-reatta?utm_medium=Promoted Listing&utm_source=Classifieds&utm_campaign=1988-buick-reatta?refer=saturday&utm_source=saturday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-11-14

18 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Just another one in a long list the last several months that prove the naysayers wrong 

One sale, or purported sale, does not prove the naysayers wrong. It could be an outlier. Reatta values remain stagnant.  Maybe they have bottomed out. I know that in my searches of Reattas I used to do 6 years ago, I could find 100-200 for sale in a 700 mile circle around Des Moines, Iowa. Maybe more.  Now those same searches yield much fewer cars and those cars are either worn out types or nicer examples.  I know my recently sold Reattas, 2 if which were among the rarest in the world have not popped up for sale.  They were project vehicles. Owners are either doing nothing to them or chipping away at them.  My 1990 Driftwood convertible sold "right" at $4000 and he likes the car.  $7000?  Just don't have enough information to judge if the trend is up swinging or stale.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

One sale, or purported sale, does not prove the naysayers wrong. It could be an outlier. Reatta values remain stagnant.  Maybe they have bottomed out. I know that in my searches of Reattas I used to do 6 years ago, I could find 100-200 for sale in a 700 mile circle around Des Moines, Iowa. Maybe more.  Now those same searches yield much fewer cars and those cars are either worn out types or nicer examples.  I know my recently sold Reattas, 2 if which were among the rarest in the world have not popped up for sale.  They were project vehicles. Owners are either doing nothing to them or chipping away at them.  My 1990 Driftwood convertible sold "right" at $4000 and he likes the car.  $7000?  Just don't have enough information to judge if the trend is up swinging or stale.  

I think you forgot about the post I did a couple months ago of several Reatta’s that had brought really excellent money, and there have been more since and of course more before  that.  Your driftwood Reatta was a nice Reata but it wasn’t an exceptional Reatta and driftwood is not a popular color and usually falls flat.  Not sure if you are on the reatta FB groups but have seen strong sales and purchases on there, and a regular flow of people asking and looking to purchase Reatta's.  Let's face it Jake, there could be 100 go in a row for good money and you would still be the naysayer 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

Well that is a very nice white/red (one of my favorite) coupe with no rust. Have sold cars on undercarriage photos before. Late car, only drawback is no sunroof. 72k miles is a plus. Not many left like that. Only thing a fanatic would notice is the steering wheel center is wrong.

I just know I am jumping back in on Reattas as they are increasing in value exponentially, per Y Job Fan's observations.  This week I purchased 2, and I am going to place them in storage so in 5 years I can refer to them as "Barn Finds".  By Y Job Fan's accounting, I should see a 5% gain each year more or less.    Buy Reatta's now before they become unaffordable!    

You're just hilarious B Jake(I can think of other descriptions as well), but you have to buy quality cars to expect them to be desirable in 5 years, not the type of cars you typically buy.  As you are intentionally ignoring, I always say that the cars need to be exceptional or high quality examples, the rest are drivers and parts cars(like your cars).

hhhmm.  I purchased a nice 1988 Sapphire Blue coupe for $7000, with only 41,000 original miles on it, not an early car but very nice.  I am storing it here in Iowa, and will advertise it in 5 years for about $9000.   This is part of my retirement strategy.  I think it is a car you would approve of, as I have gone away from my junk vehicles of the 1 of 1 1991 Maui Blue and Tan coupe that Marck Barker sold me 3 years ago and which I had $3300 in and sold for $400 to a fellow in Webster City, Iowa.     Or the earliest known Reatta left in existence which you correctly describe as a "parts car, #105 which Barney still could care less about in the database - for $250 cash.  

Instead I dropped $7500 for a 1991 Maui and Blue car with 34,000 original miles, a convertible no less.  It will be worth $10,000 ??? in 3-4 years.  

These are great cars which I have stored in Iowa Falls, Iowa not temperature controlled but inside, and covered.   I listened to you "Y Job Fan" and purchased a nicer car, a nicer Reatta.  I pulled the batteries as they always die for me.  

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Investments only Dave. I will sell them for a profit in 3 or so years 

I think you'd have a better return on investment in an FDIC savings account currently offering yearly interest at .06% (yes, that's six tenths of one percent)!😵

Edited by dship (see edit history)

Y Job Fan has done the research. This is a win win. Reattas are appreciating in value for nice ones.  I tried to save the 2 rarest Reattas in the world but they are parts cars or scrap.  The only way is to buy nice cars.  I used found money from inheritance so I am not out.  I carefully stored them. I am paying about $1300 a year to store them but in 3 years they will have appreciated enough to sell and see a return on my investment.  Investment only, no hobby.  I have other things I am doing.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

14 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Y Job Fan has done the research. This is a win win. Reattas are appreciating in value for nice ones.  I tried to save the 2 rarest Reattas in the world but they are parts cars or scrap.  The only way is to buy nice cars.  I used found money from inheritance so I am not out.  I carefully stored them. I am paying about $1300 a year to store them but in 3 years they will have appreciated enough to sell and see a return on my investment.  Investment only, no hobby.  I have other things I am doing.  

That storage is sure going to eat into your gain, $4000 in 3 years.  Let’s see some pics of these gems

My garages are part of my house and all work is Paid For as are all of my cars. My late '88 triple blue sunroof (factory) coupe is a keeper. Bought a pair of nice under 70k 89 Allantes (best year) with hardtops for pocket change. Only yearly cost is license plates (cheaper over 30) and collector insurance (Judge is expensive part).

That said buy only cars I want and pay cash. Do not plan to sell. Figure I swapped the 90 'verts (at one point had 3) for the two Allantes. Do have a title for a 90 sunroof coupe. Know approximately where it is but would need a machete to reach. Starting to feel the two SLKs have passed their interest point.