Arvin hot water heaters.

Jeffrey Black

Hi, I am restoring a '34 Packard super 8 coupe with a rumble seat. The cab is fitted with a Arvin hot water heater, can anyone tell me what the outside finish of this heater should be, please? I guess it would be either a gloss black, or very possible it was a black wrinkle finish. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Regards, Jeff  Black.

They came in several models and levels of finish........from rather drab black boxes to chromed doors and with air ducts. A photo would help. Most likely it’s a plain model, as the fancy ones seem to be quite scarce. With no definitive answer, I would look at a factory radio box finish. Black wrinkle finish is a decent possible solution. If I saw it with a semi gloss or flat wrinkle finish I would not question it. Glossy finish would get my attention. Another question.......is it year appropriate for the car? Most Arvin heaters I have seen are late 30’s from memory.........you definitely don’t want a late style heater in your 34, it will look out of place.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1931 Ad Noblitt-Sparks Arvin Car Heaters Auto Parts Santa Claus Christ –  Period Paper

1933-4

1936 Arvin Hot Water Car Heater Ad Mother with Daughter | Etsy

1935-6 added ability to blow hot air on the windshield, so you will see vent hose connections

Amazon.com: Arvin Duo-Flo Car Heater, Vintage 40's print ad (man  driving)Original vintage 1949 Collier's Magazine Print Art.: Posters &  Prints

There were not standards for color, most were crinkle black, but lots of possible colors.

I am sure Packard had approved accessory heaters available by 1934?

This one looks nice

image.thumb.png.a7281b4418c21c254a7811b26dd03e0d.png

Your heater looks very early and appropriate to the era......maybe a bit earlier than the car. I have had factory heaters in my Cadillac........they offered them in 1931 for 37.50........quite a lot of money. Just like radios, they got cheap fast......and popular. Your car looks very nice. We have two 34 Packard 12’s in the collection....they are very refined automobiles.........while I am a bit of a heavy footed driver and like more power than what they have to offer........they are certainly the definition of an almost perfect road car.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ozstatman said:

Is it this one?

That looks like 32-33 to me, but just a guess. For some reason the rounded doors seem just a bit later, and the very early units tended to be square. Of course........there is no set rule on aftermarket parts and how long they hung around. Dealers would sell you anything they could during the depression. Cadillac had a spot in the firewalls for the hot water tubes that mounted the heater.........I'm not sure what Packard did. Pierce just had a flat spot in the wall in front of the passenger.....and there was plenty of room for a heater. The only heaters that worked well in my experience were the gas operated South Wind, and the unit in our 851 Auburn........which brand may be Arvin, but a I can’t remember.

• Like 2

Not a help to the heater finish question, but, just had to add that Arvin is STILL IN BUSINESS! 👍

Now they make exhaust system parts and those gas charged shocks that keep your liftgate/hoods open.

http://www.preservingarvin.com/arvin-products.html

Their first car heater was as the Indianapolis Air Pump Company in 1920.

In the 30s they started making car radios.

Sort of like Auto-Lite, in they made lots more auto products than you realize, as most of us only know auto electric products from Auto-Lite.

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

. . . just had to add that Arvin is STILL IN BUSINESS! 👍 . . 

So is Tripp-Lite. They make battery backup and power conditioning systems for computers nowadays.

Back in the 1990s I was slightly involved with such things for a company I worked with and needed to call Tripp-Lite on some detail I have long since forgotten. When the lady screening calls asked where I’d heard of their company I said I had a pair of Tripp-Lites on my antique car. After a long pause, she asked what they were. I said they were auxiliary lights for the front of the car for better lighting useful for long trips on dark roads, “you know, trip lights” thus the name. She had no clue the company once made automotive lights.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:56 AM, Graham Man said:

1931 Ad Noblitt-Sparks Arvin Car Heaters Auto Parts Santa Claus Christ –  Period Paper

1933-4

1936 Arvin Hot Water Car Heater Ad Mother with Daughter | Etsy

1935-6 added ability to blow hot air on the windshield, so you will see vent hose connections

Amazon.com: Arvin Duo-Flo Car Heater, Vintage 40's print ad (man  driving)Original vintage 1949 Collier's Magazine Print Art.: Posters &  Prints

There were not standards for color, most were crinkle black, but lots of possible colors.

I am sure Packard had approved accessory heaters available by 1934?

This one looks nice

image.thumb.png.a7281b4418c21c254a7811b26dd03e0d.png

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

That looks like 32-33 to me, but just a guess. For some reason the rounded doors seem just a bit later, and the very early units tended to be square. Of course........there is no set rule on aftermarket parts and how long they hung around. Dealers would sell you anything they could during the depression. Cadillac had a spot in the firewalls for the hot water tubes that mounted the heater.........I'm not sure what Packard did. Pierce just had a flat spot in the wall in front of the passenger.....and there was plenty of room for a heater. The only heaters that worked well in my experience were the gas operated South Wind, and the unit in our 851 Auburn........which brand may be Arvin, but a I can’t remember.

Yes sir, I think the heater was fitted to the new car, if it is a '33, for instance, the unit could still be new on the store's shelf in '34. I am not seeing anything on this site that makes me think it is incorrect for a '34 car.    Regards, Jeff Black.

18 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Not a help to the heater finish question, but, just had to add that Arvin is STILL IN BUSINESS! 👍

Now they make exhaust system parts and those gas charged shocks that keep your liftgate/hoods open.

http://www.preservingarvin.com/arvin-products.html

Their first car heater was as the Indianapolis Air Pump Company in 1920.

In the 30s they started making car radios.

Sort of like Auto-Lite, in they made lots more auto products than you realize, as most of us only know auto electric products from Auto-Lite.

Yes Frank, I was surprised to see that they are still in business, must be very successful business.   Regards, Jeff Black.

16 hours ago, ply33 said:

So is Tripp-Lite. They make battery backup and power conditioning systems for computers nowadays.

Back in the 1990s I was slightly involved with such things for a company I worked with and needed to call Tripp-Lite on some detail I have long since forgotten. When the lady screening calls asked where I’d heard of their company I said I had a pair of Tripp-Lites on my antique car. After a long pause, she asked what they were. I said they were auxiliary lights for the front of the car for better lighting useful for long trips on dark roads, “you know, trip lights” thus the name. She had no clue the company once made automotive lights.

It is amazing what gems of information do come to light sometimes, I do have a set of Tripp-Lites for my Packard.  Regards, Jeff Black.

35 minutes ago, Jeffrey Black said:

Yes sir, I think the heater was fitted to the new car, if it is a '33, for instance, the unit could still be new on the store's shelf in '34. I am not seeing anything on this site that makes me think it is incorrect for a '34 car.    Regards, Jeff Black.

I think your unit looks more appropriate to my eye for the year of your car than the chrome door units......if I was judging it, I wouldn’t even ask a question.......looks correct and period. 👍

Ed,

Interesting line of thought, with such a beautiful dash, do you want the heater to distract form the dash?  black might be the least conspicuous.

I use my heater a lot on cold fall days, it is awesome, and I get a few extra weeks of driving... If I lived down south I would toss it in the "not used pile" they are not pretty and the water lines under the hood clutter the engine compartment.  Make sure you install a valve to shut off the water in the summer, they get really hot!

image.png.e455f83810cd33c89533afbb72bffd0f.png

They salted my roads last week, so my driving season is over...

• Like 1

I have this “Perfection” unit Under the dash of my 31 Pierce, but I don’t plan on getting it hooked up. I agree that the hoses would be unsightly under the hood. I wish it hadn’t been added back in the day but unless I go to much trouble it’s just going to stay put. The back side of it looks like a black crinkle finish which is visible on the mounting support on the firewall. It is hardly visible Inside the car for how hidden it is under the dash

477321C0-F3D5-434E-B7A6-92475FDC1E59.jpeg

881B3B56-0ACF-4AB3-8C4C-DF2BAA24D801.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pick up two black pipe rubber/plastic caps to put on the copper stubs. Not crutch tips, they flare out. 

On 11/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, Graham Man said:

Ed,

Interesting line of thought, with such a beautiful dash, do you want the heater to distract form the dash?  black might be the least conspicuous.

I use my heater a lot on cold fall days, it is awesome, and I get a few extra weeks of driving... If I lived down south I would toss it in the "not used pile" they are not pretty and the water lines under the hood clutter the engine compartment.  Make sure you install a valve to shut off the water in the summer, they get really hot!

image.png.e455f83810cd33c89533afbb72bffd0f.png

They salted my roads last week, so my driving season is over...

Well Graham, I must say it did not occur to me to not refit the unit, & I know to put a valve in the line, very hot otherwise!     Jeff Black.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, Mark Wetherbee said:

I have this “Perfection” unit Under the dash of my 31 Pierce, but I don’t plan on getting it hooked up. I agree that the hoses would be unsightly under the hood. I wish it hadn’t been added back in the day but unless I go to much trouble it’s just going to stay put. The back side of it looks like a black crinkle finish which is visible on the mounting support on the firewall. It is hardly visible Inside the car for how hidden it is under the dash

477321C0-F3D5-434E-B7A6-92475FDC1E59.jpeg

881B3B56-0ACF-4AB3-8C4C-DF2BAA24D801.jpeg

Mark, it looks as though the safe finish will be crinkle black.   Jeff  Black.

• Like 1