Classic Era Minerva

alsancle

On 11/4/2020 at 12:28 PM, alsancle said:

There are some scattered threads on Minerva in the forum but it certainly deserves a dedicated one.     Sleeve Valve engine equipped Belgian builder of high end cars from 1902 to 1938.

The eight cylinder "AL" was particularly interesting,  although they all had pretty big motors during the Classic era,  even the sixes.

This is a Rollston bodied car that I saw for sale at hershey years ago.

Car Style Critic: Minerva: Belgium's Luxury Car

I'll quote myself.   I have seen this car in person and it is impressive,  although I'm not quite sure the treatment works as well as the Brewster Wind Swept Rolls.

Here it is prior to restoration.

Minerva-AL-Rollston.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, Walt G said:

The car now has an excellent home and a caring owner who will get the car on the road in time so we can all enjoy seeing and hearing it run.

Last I knew it was fine..........the current owner took me for a ride in his 1903 Pierce last week..........quite a treat.

• 11 months later...

The Minerva sport phaeton by Murphy appeared in the April 1930 issue of SOCIAL magazine, published in La Habana. The Castagna Mercedes-Benz was owned by Al Jolson.

“This latest model, from one of the most important European factories - Belgium - is one of the highest exponents of modern automobile engineering. Its smooth suspension makes it one of the most comfortable in the world.  The almost absolute absence of engine noise has been the standard with which it has achieved worldwide popularity. The bodywork of this model is manufactured by Murphy, of California.
(Courtesy of “Minerva Autos Inc.”, N.Y.)”

6277589A-B0A8-4088-9188-40BB7C754C8E.jpeg.6cd20bb9bc1a44705772345ae79d7b9d.jpeg
The caption for the Mercedes-Benz…

“This formidable German factory introduces us to its famous model "SS", of 250 HP with which they can obtain effortlessly 107 MPH. Bodied by the most notable of Italian designers : Castagna.  This extraordinary model is a cabriolet convertible, sport, for 4 passengers.  Its speed records on European tracks are currently the most remarkable.
(Courtesy of "Mercedes-Benz Cg." Inc., N.Y.)”

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love this picture of a young dad and and his toddler -  1931 Minerva AL Convertible Sedan by Rollston, at the RM/ Sotheby's 2013 Art Of The Automobile auction, New York.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ny13/new-york---art-of-the-automobile/lots/r124-1931-minerva-al-convertible-sedan-by-the-rollston-company/296133

6A36970A-4E1E-4E3E-A4DE-96D27945938A.jpeg.c310e09e565baf03eb844cdb153b1b5c.jpeg

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 4

So many interesting cars at Monterey this year.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo22/monterey/lots/p0022-1929-minerva-am-convertible-sedan-by-murphy/1252979

Chassis No.57857
Engine No.57859
Documents
US Title
  • Iconic “Clear Vision” bodywork by one of California’s best-known coachbuilders
  • Extremely attractive lines on an outstanding luxury chassis
  • Well-preserved older restoration
  • Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic

Befitting the breezy and colorful West Coast lifestyle, the coachwork built by Murphy of Pasadena was frequently lighter of line that its Eastern competitors. This was embodied by the most outstanding feature of the company’s Classic Era design, the “Clear Vision” windshield, which boasted a frame narrower than the space between a man’s eyes—thus eliminating blind spots. Not only a safety feature, the Clear Vision windshield also resulted in an airy, glassy greenhouse, the perfect complement to the simple and largely unadorned lines of the Murphy body below. Variations of this theme were produced, most prominently a convertible sedan with an equally narrow center pillar at which both doors hinged. This design proved popular and prolific, utilized on a variety of chassis in the late 1920s and becoming one of the best-known Murphy creations.

The Type AM offered here is one of two known examples of Murphy’s Clear Vision convertible sedan coachwork mounted on the immense, solidly well-engineered Belgian Minerva, with its smooth sleeve-valve six-cylinder engine. Murphy, it should be noted, was the West Coast distributor for Minerva, and thus produced some truly notable creations on that chassis. A Murphy factory photograph survives, published in the Summer 1987 issue of The Classic Car; it was likely originally sold in Southern California, given that it was photographed there in the early 1950s by the late enthusiast, Pierce Carlson. In the early 1980s it was restored to its present appearance for Richard E. Hyde of Belvedere, California. In his ownership it received a 2nd in class at the 1984 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, and that same year was judged at 99 points and awarded a First Prize Primary at the CCCA’s Far West Grand Classic, receiving Senior badge number 1144. It was also shown in the presence of Murphy designer Franklin Q. Hershey at the 1987 Silverado Concours d’Elegance.

Now part of the present collection for some three decades, the Minerva remains overall well-preserved aside from light fading to the interior, while the engine compartment and chassis would benefit from detailing. The paintwork is still largely in very good condition, reflecting little use of the car since its restoration. Most significantly for an automobile restored in this era, the color scheme is still quite appealing and attractive, and the Minerva would still be a most impressive entrant at any event—reflecting the best of sophisticated Belgian engineering and handsome California design.

image.png.a9739d5fb5bdbba4c329c2b23b648234.png

• Like 2

I gather it didn't sell, with a 300-450k estimate, back in 2018: 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24811/lot/59/?category=list

Quite the opening to the 2018 Bonhams listing:

"Anyone who has been overtaken by a car with a sleeve valve engine will have the memory branded into their brain. First comes the surprise caused by a silent machine coming out of nowhere, as no engine noise gave warning of its approach. Then, the passing, still silent, with only the whoosh from the tires on the pavement to accompany the rush. Followed by the squinting and coughing as you desperately try to see where you are going, immersed in a dense cloud of smoke and fumes, a smog that most certainly does not smell of roses..."

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1935Packard said:

I gather it didn't sell, with a 300-450k estimate, back in 2018: 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24811/lot/59/?category=list

Quite the opening to the 2018 Bonhams listing:

"Anyone who has been overtaken by a car with a sleeve valve engine will have the memory branded into their brain. First comes the surprise caused by a silent machine coming out of nowhere, as no engine noise gave warning of its approach. Then, the passing, still silent, with only the whoosh from the tires on the pavement to accompany the rush. Followed by the squinting and coughing as you desperately try to see where you are going, immersed in a dense cloud of smoke and fumes, a smog that most certainly does not smell of roses..."

Obviously they didn't have me fix their car.........ours doesn't smoke a whiff.  

25 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

I’ve said it before we should rename Ed to “The Wizard” !
He makes all the magic happen behind the curtain. 
dave s 

Nope…….I can’t print here what 99 percent of the people call me………..especially my family and friends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You think you could restore that car for 300k?

No, but back in  the day it was a 400k restoration……… so the numbers I was providing were from 20 years ago. 

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Obviously they didn't have me fix their car.........ours doesn't smoke a whiff.  

Certainly an incredibly cool car if you can also buy the rare Edminnieator desmoker.

16 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I’ve said it before we should rename Ed to the Wizard! 
He makes all the magic happen behind the curtain. 
dave s 

Ed is a savant but he did have some very important help from Mark Young.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ed is a savant but he did have some very important help from Mark Young.

Lots of help from Mark………couldn’t have done it without him. 👍

• Like 2