Cars For Sale

I wish that the Cars For Sale would be in the same location as before. I look at it everyday and wanted to give it a chance but it was easier for me when it was closer to the top. I also note that the listings are predominately dealer ads and very few member cars are being listed. Perhaps that's just today's market, but it sure seems like we're being less individual sellers. Anyone else prefer the old location, too?

Regards,

Henry "Hank" Feinberg

AACA Life Member and old car guy since 1959

On 10/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, parrts said:

I wish that the Cars For Sale would be in the same location as before. I look at it everyday and wanted to give it a chance but it was easier for me when it was closer to the top. I also note that the listings are predominately dealer ads and very few member cars are being listed. Perhaps that's just today's market, but it sure seems like we're being less individual sellers. Anyone else prefer the old location, too?

Regards,

Henry "Hank" Feinberg

AACA Life Member and old car guy since 1959

Dealer Ads? I'm not seeing the same thing you are. Please show me some examples?

As to position. I understand what you are asking, but you on the only person to complain.  I dont consider it broken, so not inclined to fix it.

• Haha 1
On 10/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

As to position. I understand what you are asking, but you on the only person to complain.  I dont consider it broken, so not inclined to fix it.

Actually I think a few people expressed their opinion that they preferred the previous Buy/Sell forum setup. You probably don't remember because it was while you were also dealing with a lot of more pressing concerns about the software setup. I also don't like the current setup, but I understand your explanation about why you set it up as it is now. I did not bring it up again previously since you already explained why you changed it and I don't expect it to be changed back. I just quit browsing any in Buy/Sell and occasionally click on the Buy/Sell link in the Buick General Forum and check to see if there is anyting of interest to me. I think that the current setup "appears" to be more logically organized, but it is not as user friendly, so I just ignore it for the most part now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Actually I think a few people expressed their opinion that they preferred the previous Buy/Sell forum setup. You probably don't remember because it was while you were also dealing with a lot of more pressing concerns about the software setup. I also don't like the current setup, but I understand your explanation about why you set it up as it is now. I did not bring it up again previously since you already explained why you changed it and I don't expect it to be changed back. I just quit browsing any in Buy/Sell and occasionally click on the Buy/Sell link in the Buick General Forum and check to see if there is anyting of interest to me. I think that the current setup "appears" to be more logically organized, but it is not as user friendly, so I just ignore it for the most part now. 

Point taken.

In my defense.  Traffic to ALL the buy/sell forums has increased 3x since i made the change. 

See attached:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.19.05 PM.png

Peter, I think the apparent increase is simply a result of the fact that a lot of Buy/Sell posts were previously dispersed within other forums. Now that you have moved all of the Buy/Sell categories into a single Buy/Sell Forum, the total number of post views in that forum should naturally increase. Others will likely briefly browse a lot of threads since they are centrally located. I simply don't care for it, so I will just continue occasionally checking out the link to Buy/Sell in the Buick Forum. 

• 1 month later...

I prefer the old way the cars for sale were listed. I am interested in all old cars and not just one manufacturer. As it was, I liked to see the variety of cars for sale listed in one place.  It was an opportunity to be exposed to cars I know less about. Learning about cars and expanding my horizons makes the hobby interesting. As it is set up now it is difficult to wade through all of the classifications. I probably miss a lot of interesting cars for sale. I do like the breakout by manufacture for parts and topics related to a specific brand. I enjoy the AACA forums and I appreciate the contacts I have made through the forums.

I get it now..... I guess I was just a little lost. Thank you Peter for the explanation.

Edited by Bruce Winters (see edit history)
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Detroit_Electric said:

I have been away for a bit but I cannot find the cars for sale area. Edit, ok I found it but not as easy as it used to be

Not sure how I make it more obvious.  

There is a link second from the top of the forum "Buy/Sell" that jumps you directly to the buy/sell forums.

The Buy/Sell Section is down the page and also pretty easy to find, even without the link.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 8.22.49 PM.png

Peter, Why not delete the Buy/Sell redirect link you have circled and replace it with the Buy/Sell  section? I think that might eliminate most of the confusion. The Buy/Sell section seems to be one of the most popular categories here so putting it right below General Discussion seems to make sense to me.

318536841_ScreenShot2020-12-15at8_22_49P

On 12/17/2020 at 6:12 AM, Detroit_Electric said:

Obviously it isn't as obvious as it used to be or as you seem to think it is now

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." 

So how you you suggest I make or more obvious?

On 12/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, Ronnie said:

Peter, Why not delete the Buy/Sell redirect link you have circled and replace it with the Buy/Sell  section? I think that might eliminate most of the confusion. The Buy/Sell section seems to be one of the most popular categories here so putting it right below General Discussion seems to make sense to me.

318536841_ScreenShot2020-12-15at8_22_49P

It's an issue of priorities.

Putting the Buy/Sell forums as the 2nd thru 6th forums, (plus 12 subforms) pushes 8 forums down.   If I move the Buy/Sell as you suggested, then I'll get complaints for those forums not being "obvious" or hard to find.

I personally thing "General Discussion" is just that...general.  Buy/Sell has its own section down the page a bit.

The basic complaint is that its too hard to find, ie (not obvious).  I don't agree.  Scroll down to find it.

An analogy:  Virtually every car magazine I know has the buy/sell section in the BACK of the magazine.  Is it not obvious? Should they be moved to the FRONT to make them more obvious?  No, of course not.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

It's an issue of priorities.

Putting the Buy/Sell forums as the 2nd thru 6th forums, (plus 12 subforms) pushes 8 forums down.   If I move the Buy/Sell as you suggested, then I'll get complaints for those forums not being "obvious" or hard to find.

I personally thing "General Discussion" is just that...general.  Buy/Sell has its own section down the page a bit.

The basic complaint is that its too hard to find, ie (not obvious).  I don't agree.  Scroll down to find it.

An analogy:  Virtually every car magazine I know has the buy/sell section in the BACK of the magazine.  Is it not obvious? Should they be moved to the FRONT to make them more obvious?  No, of course not.

A case of "can't win for trying"  Peter?  You are doing a smashing job. Carry on!

Ben

10 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

If I move the Buy/Sell as you suggested, then I'll get complaints for those forums not being "obvious" or hard to find.

I see you deleted the Buy/Sell redirect link. That's half of what I suggested so at least I wasn't completely wrong.  😁

• Like 1

It just used to be so easy cars for sale very near the top of the forums. I think having it lower on the page is part of the problem and the other part is the when you go to the sale page there are sub forums listed and then you go below the sub forums to see the listed cars. The first time I went there it looked like I was going to have to search each car type for the for sales. Perhaps if the cars for sale was a sub forum like others on the page and make it the lead one. It would take an extra click to get to but it would be at the top of the sale page instead of below the sub forums. It is just a bit cluttered with the sub forums on top of the car listings