Anybody Know What year and manufacturer this engine is?

Motorgeezer

7 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

With electric lights and steel felloe wheels I would think it is nearer to the later teens or perhaps even early 1920's.  It could even be  a small Speed Wagon  truck chassis.

Greg

Hi Greg

yes it has electric lights. I saw a bulb holder for a taillight. And the rear leaf springs are very heavy duty I counted 12 leaves. I don’t know what steel felloe wheels are, you can see from the photographs that the wheels are wooden spoke in the center. 

The felloe is the part of the wheel that the outer ends of the spokes go into.  First picture shows a wood felloe wheel, second picture is a steel felloe wheel.

wood felloe.jpg

steel felloe.jpg

Just now, Motorgeezer said:

181C6627-36F5-4286-B626-CC32E4B3A657.jpeg

I don’t think those two loose broken rims in the frame are from this vehicle but who knows? The heavy duty looking rear leafspring can easily be seen in this pic. Also you can see the rear differential. What else should I look for to determine if this was a truck?

The rear hubs and general appearance of the rear of the frame also suggest REO Speed Wagon { light duty truck }. The arm for the brake is there , just that someone has 

removed the bolt on, top pad of the brake pedal.  

Most likely early 1920's. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

general appearance of the rear of the frame also suggest REO Speed Wagon { light duty truck }.

Agree, definitely lighter duty REO truck.  I had a bare frame for a 1920 REO small school bus and the frame and spring hangers match. 

Also, there is a second "frame" that the motor is mounted on, that sits inside the main frame which REO used at least on trucks, going way back.  I also had remains of two 1913 REO Model J big trucks with that second engine frame set up.

That engine was introduced in 1910 and discontinued about 1925. It was first used in the Model R, then "Reo the Fifth" (in 1912) and later in the Speedwagon. Most of the engine parts are interchangeable right to the end...I once used the Northeast generator/distributor unit from one of those on my 1910 R. The bracket that held the generator just bolted on in place of the magneto bracket. There have been at least two people on this forum looking for engine parts in the last year or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...