What is happening around the dist plug wire boots

SparkEE

I didn’t want to cross link a live ad, but I am wondering what is occurring around the distributor dust boots for the spark plug wires in the attached picture.  Thoughts?  It looks like mold to me.  How does that happen without being really wet?  Is that a sign of potential water damage / submersion?  Maybe this is just something typically of damper climates?

F0B95DE8-981B-4B16-8E92-F4FB68F6ADC2.jpeg

To live and thrive mold spores need a supportive environment. Yes moisture but also nutrients; dust, dirt organic type matter. More than likely not only is the storage damp but also perhaps has a dirt floor. 

Mold rarely grown on ceramic tile because its non porous surface doesn't hold the dirt and doesn't give the mold something to latch onto. Rusty's suggestion of WD-40 acts as a slippery deterrent for the spores and the organic material. 

Thank you for your answers.  Picture is from an ad in the cars for sale section, from the North East.

Easily cleaned / changed - just wondering what conditions that may have contributed to the cause.  I’ve seen cars sit on dirt floors of barns in the Pacific Northwest and never exhibit this.

Poor ventilation and a little food (dirty hands) and some moisture = mold.  I had a shed like that for a while, the points have a tendency to corrode from the same conditions.  I would just put a new set of points in when you get the car, or at least clean the old set.  It should clean up pretty easy, I use the antiseptic wipes, and gloves.  

Thanks all for your replies.  Very interesting car, but not interested in it based on circumstances of sale (not related to the above).  Looks like similar conditions occurring on the fan belt and maybe a few other spots.  Visible portions easily remedied and if it is simply a sign of slight moisture and not submersion, I’ve learned something.  Thanks all!