1920-30 Fan blades; Painted tips?

Graham Man

I was just working on one of my 1928 cars, cleaning up the fan blades.  Question is, were the fan blade tips painted?  My 1929 Graham-Paige that has never been apart, extremely original, has one blade tip painted white.  Just curious what your experiences are?  After fan shrouds I would not see the need to paint them.

image.png.57876f0709f059812722aaca83447116.png

Back in the 60's I owned 6 Pontiacs (1926-1931 inclusive), 2 Studebakers ('26 and '28), three Buicks ('30 and 2 '53's), a '41 Dodge and a '41 Chev.  At that time I am certain all were originals.  None had any paint on the fan blade tips.  As a gas jockey in the late 50's I do not remember seeing any painted tips while checking oil.

Suspect may have come from the early WWI practice of putting a metal tip on propellers to avoid shooting them off.

ps a white tip on one fan blade would assist an optical tachometer. I used to have such a device to determine if a fan clutch was good or bad.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

A great way not to get too close when setting the timing - I wish I had thought about it before having needed it once... Mid 20’s Studebaker had the distributor high on the front of the block very close to the fan, luckily it only took a little flesh off my finger, from then on I pulled off the belt for the few minutes it took to time.

Stude

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

14 hours ago, padgett said:

"enclosed with a circle of metal (for safety I guess?) " no, a proper shroud dramatically increases the efficiency of a fan though some may be to protect the blades.

It has a shroud but also the fan blades have a metal circle around it

image.thumb.png.f9d6b642793def7a75cc2368f840fd5c.png

Some of the older street lights would create a strobe effect and a car fan at idle would appear to be stopped. A guy would look and say "the fan belt must be broken". Then you'd hear this twang noise. Glad it wasn't my fingers.

Bernie