Coker tire problem - sidewall bubble + banding

roadmaster_56

Hello All:

I recently purchased 4 Coker American Classic Bias Ply Radials (wide white walls) for my 48 Chrysler.  I'm having a problem with two of them, after less than 500 miles. I mostly do "around town" driving with an occasional highway run (60-65mph) and  I run them between 28-32psi.

One has developed a bubble on the sidewall....originally, it was about the size of a quarter, but has shrunk (see photo).  The other tire shows "lumpiness" (perhaps banding?) in the whitewall area around the entire circumference of the tire. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how was it remedied?  Opinions please, are they safe for daily driving...just a cosmetic issue or unsafe?

I've written Coker several times through their website, but received no response... what to do now?

Thank you, David in Santa Cruz

739515726_CokerBiasPlyRadialBubble.thumb.jpg.673bd9c5c8b449b9f8a36e1da05bb900.jpg402851921_CokerBiasPlyRadialBubbleandBanding.thumb.jpg.0bf4cdaf83cf42a8fd005687cecf348f.jpg

Are they bias-ply or radials? They can't be both. They look like radials to me.

Call Coker and demand that they replace them. They should. Show them the photos. They've replaced a lot of tires for me due to similar issues. They won't cover shipping or mount/balance, but they should give you fresh tires that hopefully will not be as bad.

Hopefully.

Just call Coker. I've never had them balk at any customer service issues. Don't assume they won't help you. 

I will also say that I used to be a young service manager in a Goodyear tire store (decades ago), and replaced many, many tires under warranty. But the "banding" you referred to is really fairly common on radial tires. I wouldn't let that worry me. But I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that Coker won't hesitate in replacing the tire with a bubble. What has happened is an inner layer of rubber has allowed air to seep through to the outer layer, where it was trapped and formed a bubble. It's a no brainer. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1