1922 Chandler SIX - being raffled for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital

Good evening. 

I hope you are all staying healthy and well. I also hope you do not mind me posting this here, but if it’s an issue, please advise. 

Obviously, there are some old car enthusiasts amongst this group and their friends, and we have a 1922 Chandler Six that we are raffling off for charity. 

This car is in excellent condition for 98 years old and we are offering tickets at $98/each entry, with the proceeds going to St. Jude's Childrens Hospital.

The YouTube video features the mechanic who got it running for us, and he provides a good overview.

Here is the link to the charity raffle benefitting St. Jude's. 

https://lp.wurthindustry.com/w%C3%BCrth-elgin-st.-jude-fundraiser

Also, video with commentary from the restoration shop owner about the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1AK32MTAA

Any help in getting this opportunity cascaded would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you, Brian 

Edited by brianbhoy@aol.com
Member corrected erroneous data (see edit history)

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the charity Brian, it's a good cause.

I just purchased my ticket. This old Chandler would have a great life over here in sunny Palm Springs!

Cheers, Greg

According to Classiccardatabase.com,

the 1922 Chandler 6 would have a 289 cubic inch displacement 6-cylinder engine

http://classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=2205&year=1922&model=4202

• Thanks 2

A quick read of the descriptions, statements, etc, tells me their "expert" ain't!

The one picture I found? The car looks nice. Certainly, the "cause" (St. Jude's) is one of the finest in the world. With so much wrong said? I would hope the fundraiser is legit?

My apologies for being a "doubting Thomas".

Wayne -

No worries on the “doubting Thomas” bit. The raffle is legit. The ticket money goes directly into the St. Jude’s System when you enter. To verify this, please go to the link and click on "Make a Donation & Enter to Win" button and you will see that it takes you directly to St. Jude's for processing.  You will also see a link to over 30 more pictures of the vevhicle.

The way the raffle came to be is as follows -

Elgin Fastener Group is a respected domestic manufacturer of specialty fasteners, with seven facilities in the United States. One of the companies in our portfolio, Chandler Products, manufactured vehicles, and later on made specialty fasteners in the same facility in Euclid, Ohio. 

This vehicle has been in the lobby of the building for over 20 years as a show piece. 

In 2019, we, the Elgin Fastener Group, consolidated operations into other Cleveland area facilities and needed to move the vehicle. 

We elected to partner with one of our customers and promote the raffle for charity. 

I will appreciate any bits of information to make the description more accurate - and at the end of the day, it's a $98 opportunity to win a running automobile and help children.

In attempts to make the description as accurate as possible, I've reached out to various sources, including Roger Chandler of the Chandler Car Club, and welcome any insight into the specs. While I am car guy myself, my focus in on 1st gen Camaro and 2nd gen Corvette restomods, so have little knowledge of cars of this era.

All the best,

Brian 

Edited by brianbhoy@aol.com (see edit history)

Brian, Thank you for your kind response, and clarification. I am not an "expert" on Chandler automobiles per se, however do I know a bit about them. I would recommend changing the " 500 cubic inch engine" right away as that is a big red flag! 500 cubic inch is a very large engine in any time-frame, and in the early 1920s, only the biggest of the big, and most powerful cars in the market place had engines anywhere near that size. The "289" specification offered by Marty Roth and shown in the website he linked to, is probably correct. At that, it is still a fairly large engine for those years. For a comparison however, Studebaker's "Big six" model did have a 355 cid flat head six.

One reference book I have, indicates that Chandler in the early 1920s had basically a single model chassis and engine, with several body styles available. Generally speaking, it was a mid-size mid-price range automobile. They were better built than most cars in their class, and generally very reliable. Again, Studebaker in most early 1920s years offered three chassis models, Buick always had at least two models (either a six and a four, or two different sixes), as did many of Chandler's other competition.

I also want to point out, that the car shown has the fairly rare and desirable "sport touring" options. Notice that the running boards do not attach to the front fenders, which curve sharply down to an abrupt end behind the front wheel. MOST Chandler touring cars have the standard long front fenders that attach directly to the running board. There are a number of special parts unique to the "sport" models (including other body styles), that make these sport models extra special. Only a few automobile manufacturers offered "sport" models with the short running boards or step plates. Most of them were much more expensive than the Chandler was. I know a few people that have Marmon automobiles with those features. Many cars with those features were custom built automobiles, and most of those cars were very expensive. In the mid-price range, Chandler was one of the very few.

Any "nickel era" devotee would be proud to be seen in one of these Chandlers.

Also of potential interest. A long-time personal friend, and major collector, has a Chandler very similar to this one. And he loves the car! It sits in his private collection surrounded by a half dozen Stutz, I have lost count how many Pierce Arrows, a few Packards, and about fifty other beautiful and expensive pre-war and horseless carriage era automobiles. With all those other cars to choose from, he drove the Chandler on several collector car tours.

• 1 month later...