Driving A Russell - Knight CCM...An Experience I won't forget!

keithb7

A pretty neat, once in a lifetime opportunity was presented to  me. I met a very nice fellow who owns a 1910 Russel CCM car. Made in Canada. The car has a Knight sleeve engine in it. He took my wife and I for a ride, and then offered me to drive his car. I was surprised and very quickly took him up on his offer. It was an experience I won't soon forget.

The car ran great and did not smoke. Plenty of torque. I was quite impressed. The car performed much better than I expected. I don't know the size of this Knight engine, but it was a good match for this massive car. What a thrill! I like old cars but I must admit, cars this old have been off my radar.  I was quickly enlightened and learned about all the the unique features found in a brass era car. A very fortunate day that was. Thank you Peter!

• Like 6

For a little context here ... Keith came by to look at another car and as we did that we got to talking about how his son and son's friends are interested in his cars, largely as a result of being given the opportunity to drive them.  Of course I agreed and offered my opinion that the best way to attract new members is to get them in the car and even let them drive when that's appropriate. 

So, a little later on we're checking out the Russell-Knight and out come the words "wanna go for a ride?"  It didn't take long to figure out that he's the kind of guy that has the experience and aptitude to manage a brass car so it was time to put my money where my mouth is and see if he could drive it.  And I was right - by the third shift he had it figured out and did a fantastic job.  Good video skills, too!

Peter

• Like 2

Fantastic job indeed  Peter ! Keith, although you have never driven such an ancient vehicle, do you already have unsynchronized straight cut gearbox time ? Even if so, you caught on very quickly to a very unfamiliar car ! Getting to know you on the forum, it is obvious that you will continue back in time, and end up having yet older "time machines".  I am desperately trying to get out of the Seattle dump in order to live out my days at "The Ranch" in the remote wilds smack dab in the middle of Washington State. When I am somewhat settled, and our Country is again safe for international visitors, I would love for you to come visit my mid '20s Cadillacs. I may not be able to drive them myself by then, so I really would enjoy you learning to drive me around. I know you will get quite a kick out of it. To put things in perspective, considering the size of our two huge countries, we are practically neighbors !

Thanks for sharing your old car experiences, and for the really well made videos.     -    Carl 

• Like 2

Thanks Carl.  I don’t personally own any non-synchro tranny equipped cars. I have had a little time driving one. About 1-2 times a year I drive a 1928 Dodge.  No synchros. I double clutch or speed match adjoining gears. It’s nothing like a 1910 era car though. 

Your idea to get out in country sounds great. The proposition to drive you around in a couple of 1920’s Cadillacs is one I could not refuse. Mid-Washington is indeed not far away. Please do look me up in the future once the border opens. Thank-you. 

Keith  

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Well Keith. If you can handle my brother's Russell you shouldn't have any problem driving my 12 Oakland 40. Next time your in town come on by and take it for a spin!! Sorry you can't fly the Harvard....

Ken

12 oakland4.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

@KLF...Thanks for the invite! I was planning on dropping by for a visit last week. With all the smoke I decided to change my plans. I hear you may have an old Mopar or two maybe. I'm certainly interested in all your cars. 

Looking in the VCC directory, between you and your brother, you could hold your own brass era car show! I'd love to see your Oakland and Model T's too if you still have them. I've never taken a real good look at one up close. You can count on hearing from me at some point. Thanks so much for the offer.

Harvards...I worked on one many years ago. BCIT Aircraft Maintenance Engineer studies. In a hanger at the airport South Terminal. I was in training. If I recall 1990 or so.

Keith 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

1 minute later.....Ok what car is it that your cousin has for sale? 🙂

Or maybe it's a Harvard he's selling?

Maybe I need to express myself a little more clearly ...

Harvard.thumb.jpg.bcba9a587981ef1afd26510230342e6a.jpg

(In the USA, these planes are known as T-6 Texans.   ... it could be yours, fly it home!)

Edited by PFindlay (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@KLF...Thanks for the invite! I was planning on dropping by for a visit last week. With all the smoke I decided to change my plans. I hear you may have an old Mopar or two maybe. I'm certainly interested in all your cars.

Well I do have some early 30's Mopar in the shop. Come by on a dry day and we can get them out too. I seem to be home a lot this year.....

Ken