12 volt system

trini

1953 Buicks with the V-8 were 12 volt.

1953 Buicks with the straight 8 were 6 volt.

So, for 1953, Special is 6 volt, Super and Radmaster are 12 volt. 

1952, all Buicks were 6 volt

1954, all Buicks were 12 volt.

Yes, this is the right place for a general question like this.

• Like 3

Thank you all, mates. The reason I asked this question is I have a Buick radio with glass valves, all starts with  the designation 12, like 12BE etc. and was told by a member of the Antique Radio Society of America who  supplied me with a schematic for free that it was made in  1952 and installed in high end Buicks. If my memory serves me right the model # is 961 1333. It is the type with a switch on the floor, just push down and the station will change. I spoke to a radio repair guy  near me in Toronto who claims to have been fixing automotive radio all his life and 12 volts were never used at that time . He said 12 volts came on the scene in 1962.

Cheers.

Have a nice day.

Harry.   

Dunno, may not be in the USA. Particularly if the vibrator was separate. Saw a lot of Delco Stereo FM radios on flea market tables in the 70s. Vendors did not know about the separate amp module over the glovebox....

That said I was one of the last USAF classes to be taught tubes (valves). KY-26. I know why the card case has dents.

Just to be clear, radios destined to be installed in the new 12 volt 1953 Buick Supers and Roadmasters would have been designed and built prior to 1953. So being built in 1952 would be correct!😉

Padgett. what card case? Are you using a Hickok Cardmatic? I don't think the Buick radio has a card case.😁

No was talking about a KY-26. I used to have a Cardomatic but sold it, just have a few now including my favorite 533.

My 1970 Buick had a Sonomatic radio. Then you had to buy a radio to get all of the other stuff (like an antenna) so many bought the cheapest AM. I added an FM/FM stereo/8 track under the dash

FM8-track.jpg