1978 Stutz Black Hawk -- low miles -- near Palm Springs

56,000 original miles

Starts, runs, drives

These are rare

Located in Yucca Valley

PM me for phone number

Price: $59,000/BO

This beautiful and stylish Stutz is the model that was a favorite of Elvis Presley and countless other Hollywood stars, even Lucille Ball and Sammy Davis, Jr.. If you're looking for a '70s Stutz, then you already know everything I could say. Those who don't, please do a Google search. I am helping my 82 year old neighbor sell this garage queen. Bear with me, I don't know everything about it, but I could try to answer your questions and send you more photos. 

I just took it for a test drive. This car runs like a dream. No problems there. Needs a little TLC, but nothing major. The leather seats show wear. Tires are excellent. Body is straight. There is a blemish in the paint due to rust (see photo) just under the right side faux exhaust pipe behind the front wheel. A good body shop could hit that area and make it disappear. Other than that, this car is still going strong. All the chrome is fabulous. It's 99% amazing. Just needs someone younger to love it. Taking offers now. Please feel free to message me.

1978 Stutz Black Hawk

IMG_9774.png

IMG_9773.png

IMG_9787.jpegIMG_9789.thumb.jpeg.aa9409ba36fbb4be042c622da8c4b77b.jpeg

IMG_9790.jpeg

IMG_9793.jpeg

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9791.jpeg

Edited by Bright Star
added words (see edit history)

All the best to you on the sale, Mr. Bright Star,

but you might give a phone number, and indicate

the location.  Palm Springs, California?

Palm Springs, Florida?  Palm Springs, Nova Scotia?

I'm sure your older neighbor is grateful to you for your

kind help in selling his interesting car.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

All the best to you on the sale, Mr. Bright Star,

but you might give a phone number, and indicate

the location.  Palm Springs, California?

Palm Springs, Florida?  Palm Springs, Nova Scotia?

I'm sure your older neighbor is grateful to you for your

kind help in selling his interesting car.

Thank you for your comment. BTW, the neighbor is a woman. She loves the car but doesn't drive it anymore.

I have edited this ad to show the exact city where the car is located -- Yucca Valley, 25 miles from Palm Springs. I used Palm Springs because who has heard of Yucca Valley? Our claim to fame is that we now have an Arby's.

Is there any other way for people to reach my besides through posting a comment? 

I will be sure to check this post more often, and answer any questions that come up. Very sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I mean well. Motivated seller here.

Edited by Bright Star (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

No palm trees in Nova Scotia for sure. These are built using a Pontiac Grand Prix to start?

They weren't made in America by Pontiac, in case anybody thinks that. I don't know what they were putting in the pasta over there, but it was an Italian design genius who got the crazy idea to create this mystical beast. They were built in Italy using some Pontiac parts, among other sources. Wiki says this: "Blackhawk uses Pontiac Grand Prix running gear, Pontiac's 7.5 L (455 in³) V8 engine, and a GM TH400 three-speed automatic transmission."  Also, Ford, Chevrolet and Cadillac engines were used. There was no dedication to one car brand. The dedication was focused on the overall result.

In Italy, from 1971 to 1987, at a rate of six a month, , they made a total of 600 Black Hawks over the entire run. Are there palm trees in Italy? Anybody?

Thanks for the info - I have long been curious about these cars and even had the Hot Wheels version as a kid (still have it).  I can picture this one on the streets of Palm Springs at the same time Sammy Davis was cruising around in his.

Hello Bright Star, 

I am curious, is your neighbor the original owner of this Blackhawk and/or does it retain the dash plaque with original owner's name?

Cheers, Greg

(I know where Yucca Valley is 😄)

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

On 8/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, GregLaR said:

Hello Bright Star, 

I am curious, is your neighbor the original owner of this Blackhawk and/or does it retain the dash plaque with original owner's name?

Cheers, Greg

(I know where Yucca Valley is 😄)

The current owner, a woman who is now 82, inherited the car in 1983 from a wealthy horse trainer, who died suddenly under a cloud of mystery at age 42. Although her death was declared a suicide, some believed her death should have been investigated further. There was a lot of money involved, apparently. The true story is stanger than fiction.

There is no plaque because somebody didn't want to see the original owner's name. And I get that since you pay a lot of money and it's your car and all. 

Today I learned there may be only 12 1978 Stutz Blackhawks left. The owner is interested in reasonable offers.

Thanks for the link to famous owners of this car, 60FlatTop. I like knowing Willie Mays had a Stutz Blackhawk. I watched him and the other Giants play at Candlestick Park when I was a child. He was my hero growing up. His name on the list of owners is the most rewarding for me. 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:35 AM, Bright Star said:

They weren't made in America by Pontiac, in case anybody thinks that. I don't know what they were putting in the pasta over there, but it was an Italian design genius who got the crazy idea to create this mystical beast. They were built in Italy using some Pontiac parts, among other sources.

The Stutz Blackhawk was NOT designed by an "Italian designer" on heroin pasta.  The original 1960's iterations of the Stutz Blackhawk, Duesenberg, Mercer Cobra, Bugatti Type 101C, and a Packard were all designed by ex-Chrysler designer, Virgil Exner, and made by Ghia in Italy.  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/55299-orphan-of-the-day-08-24-1966-duesenberg-1980-stutz-iv-porte 

Only the Stutz saw the light of day as a "production" vehicle which was based on either a Pontiac Grand Prix or a Bonneville, depending if it was a two door or a four door.    The bodies were shipped to Italy where the expensive modifications were done to the exterior and interior. 

Craig

14 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I always thought these cars were special, after a bit of reading makes me want to buy this one, only need to hit the lotto numbers tonight!

Todays equivalent price of a 77 S Blackhawk, over $200,000. new.  Elvis had the first one sold!

Since putting this 1978 Stutz  up for sale, I've run into a collector of Stutzes, and he said he has an Elvis Blackhawk in Pennsylvania. I think he said it's a 1972, and it's not for sale. Below is a photo of it.

IMG_9893.png

One of Elvis' cars was sold off, an Elvis impersonator had it for awhile in Vegas, that may be the one. Another was wrecked and put into storage. After his death it was restored and is now on display at Graceland. Dont recall how many he owned.

37 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The split windshield cars were not based on Pontiac bodies. Those were fabricated in Italy.

From the beginning they used a Grand Prix drivetrain, threw everything else away. They later decided it wasnt cost effective and started using some of the Pontiac.

I saw a split window car for sale in the upper $300k!

• 7 months later...