This doesn't seem right!

Touche

Car ran fine a few minutes before I popped the hood, there was a little rattling I suspected to be a water pump failing. Free play is about 3 inches, with a hard stop on either side. Im a bit nervous about starting the car again. Every pulley including the crankshaft moves. The belt is tight. Timing chain broken?

Slop.gif

53 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The crankshaft probably isn't moving. I'm guessing a bad harmonic balancer is the problem.

Times two on that. The rubber face of the damper is likely crumbled and the metal interlocked fingers of the damper is what is causing the hard stop either way.

Take a closer look at the bottom pulley..... the outside with the "V" grooves is moving but that big hex bolt in the center is not turning.

As the experts above suggested..... bad harmonic balancer.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

The mechanical interlock will keep the balancer from falling apart but allows a certain amount of movement. Will sound like a death rattle at idle.

I've seen GM cars with balancers like ours in salvage yards with notes written on them saying runs but lower bearing noise. I've always thought all that was needed was a new balancer.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I paid $250 for a 90 Coupe that needed a MAF. But she wanted it gone. Paid $800 for my project SLK230/5 speed. Ran and drove when parked but need to drain tank and replace fuel pump/filter once it cools off a bit. Got the Reatta wheel in the Allante and buttoned up. Flushed the ABS. Just need to add the air horns. Not much gets done when over 100F in the garage.