Looking for Wire Wheels for '29 Plymouth

racertb

I have one wire wheel that came as an extra when I bought my 1930 30 U.  I assume it would fit a 29 U.  Sorry, just one, but I'd sell it if you're interested.  PM me if you are interested...

-Chris

29 Ply wires are different than 30.  29 has exposed lug nuts and a hubcap that is crimped on at the factory, non removable.  they are 20", and are lock ring type.

29-Plymouth_Roadster_DV_08_CC_01-800.jpg.507fa54c83d6117542ae42ddbbd78427.jpg

The very earliest 29 Desoto wire wheels used in 28, looked like the exact same wire wheel, but they were 19".  Also I had one 19" Studebaker wheel that was the same as Desoto except the lock ring had a slightly different profile.  So, be careful if buying wheels that "look" like 29 Plymouth wires

Also, if you are converting a wood wheel car to wire wheels, all four brake drums need to be changed to wire wheel drums.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, didn't know that!

2 hours ago, F&J said:

29 Ply wires are different than 30.  29 has exposed lug nuts and a hubcap that is crimped on at the factory, non removable.  they are 20", and are lock ring type.

29-Plymouth_Roadster_DV_08_CC_01-800.jpg.507fa54c83d6117542ae42ddbbd78427.jpg

The very earliest 29 Desoto wire wheels used in 28, looked like the exact same wire wheel, but they were 19".  Also I had one 19" Studebaker wheel that was the same as Desoto except the lock ring had a slightly different profile.  So, be careful if buying wheels that "look" like 29 Plymouth wires

Also, if you are converting a wood wheel car to wire wheels, all four brake drums need to be changed to wire wheel drums.

Is this your car?  Beautiful and thanks for the information.  I know they'll be hard to find, but I will keep looking.

Ted

Yes, I'd have to convert and find the drums.  I've got wood wheels and one keeps giving me issues.  It my be easier to re-spoke, but it still would have to find a set of wires.  I've attached a couple pics of mine.

Ted

29 Plymouth 2.jpg

29 Plymouth 1.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello, My 28 Plymouth had wood wheels which I changed to 20 inch wire wheels.  You can use PA brake drums front and rear . Everything bolted together.  How ever these parts are hard to find now.  In early 29 Plymouth used a  20 "  wheel but switched to 19" later in the year.   Good Luck.  Don

IMG_0305_brighter.jpg

15 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Hello, My 28 Plymouth had wood wheels which I changed to 20 inch wire wheels.  You can use PA brake drums front and rear . Everything bolted together.  How ever these parts are hard to find now.  In early 29 Plymouth used a  20 "  wheel but switched to 19" later in the year.   Good Luck.  Don

IMG_0305_brighter.jpg

Hi Ted,

Cleaned out a building with 7 early cars and alot of Plymouth parts. Two of the cars were 28 Plymouths, a roadster and a sport coupe. There was a set of early wire wheels, not sure if they're Desoto or Plymouth. Also several new wire wheel caps. I'll try and get you some pics of the wheels.

1928 Ply Roadster Exterior.jpg

1928 Ply Roadster Exterior2.jpg

1928 Ply Roadster Exterior3.jpg

1928 Ply Roadster Exterior4.jpg

1928 Ply Roadster Exterior5.jpg

1928 Ply Roadster Exterior6.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

• Like 1