Paint, modern codes?

Native

You checked with Auto Color Library, TCP Global?

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1953-Buick.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read over the past decades, the orig formula ingredients might not be around any more . . . for whatever reason, BUT crossing them into more modern equivalents could be the key to getting things correct.  Things HAVE change a lot in paint chemistry since back then, BUT if the old brands (or equivalents) are still made for sale, then it's highly possible that the mixing equivalents are around.

It will probably take a paint supplier, as mentioned above, to make these things happened.  Local paint suppliers are much more focused on current OEM paints, which are basecoat/clearcoat formulations, much less the water-based formulations.  I suspect that DuPont or PPG sent their re-sellers updated formulation information as long as it was available, as a matter of course.  What the re-seller might have done with those things can be variable, as they would come to represent products they didn't stock or sell any more.

What MIGHT be available is that color in an acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer formulation, which would be the next-gen paints after the paints of the 1950s.  IF they have to do a hand-match, then finding a panel edge that never saw the light of day would be the best thing to match, if available.  As in the underside of the trunk lid?  Even then, though, even with no exposure to UV rays, the oils in the paint would have evaporated and possibly shifted the color a bit.  AND, the color of the primer under the paint would possibly be important too!

I suspect that the suppliers mentioned above might have better total resources to provide accurate paint colors for older vehicles, IF you desire the correct type of paint.  IF not, then you might find a paint chip of a more modern paint, for which mixing tints are available, to use to match the earlier color.  In a "dingle stage" paint rather than the more recent basecoat/clearcoat paints.

I do know that what we used to know as "DuPont Centauri acrylic enamel" has a new brand name, so that might be a start.  There might also be straight enamel or straight lacquer paints that are used on farm implements and such that could generate mixing tints for those paints, too.  Not things that a modern, local paint supply store would usually have around, I suspect.

Just some thoughts and observations,

NTX5467