New Tires Advice - 41 Buick

jim1941

Have owned my 41 Buick for about a month. Trying to order new radial tires, but all Diamond Back 16" are unavailable at least until August they guess. Seem to remember reading an older thread on this site that Coker radials can be trouble.  Does anyone have an updated opinion or know where I can likely get good tires now?  See photo. Is this TUBED tire as bad as it looks and not to be driven?  If opinions say it's ok for short trips, I could wait.  Thanks, Jim

fullsizeoutput_90e.jpeg

I'd say there's no tube in that tire, which is good. You don't need tubes on a '41.

I always prefer Diamondback, but if they're fresh out of 16-inch radials, I would say go with [redacted] and get either the Firestones that are already on the car or something similar. I personally like the look of the Firestones and the BFGoodrich tires.

Alternatively, just buy one Firestone so you can use the car until Diamondback has what you need, just to get you through this driving season.

Yes, I should have pointed out that tire is not safe to use. Bloo is 100% right. It would not have a bubble like that if there were a tube inside. Don't trust it, be safe.

What does the spare look like?

5 hours ago, jim1941 said:

Trying to order new radial tires, but all Diamond Back 16" are unavailable at least until August they guess. 

Well, not ALL Diamondback 16s. I just ordered one, a 600R16, and they told me it would be on my doorstep in about 2 weeks. I know that size wont help you with the Buick sadly, but they must not be out of everything.

Thanks for the input everyone.  Interesting to find out there are no tubes in these tires.  My spare is a very old black wall tire that was completely flat. I've added air today and will watch it.  

Jim

That appears to be a manufacturing defect. Return it to the service station where it was purchased. And be sure they wipe your windshield after they adjust the tire. And apologize for the trouble. 😉

I got a set of five 7.50-16 Diamond Back radials about 3 weeks ago for my 1939 LaSalle and am getting ready to put those on my car. I must have got the last ones!  I was replacing the 7.00-16 BF Goodrich Silvertowns on the car (made in the 1990s) since I want to make this a reliable driver and didn't want to be driving a bunch of miles on older tires.  I have removed the tire off the spare wheel which has never been used.  It looks new - still has the nubs. It's been out of the sun and in the trunk and has the same beauty bar and pie crust as your Firestones.  You are welcome to it to get you by for now - or any of the other tires that come off the car.  Only handy shot I had....shows a little tire.

Scott

IMG_0150.jpeg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1