Memoribilia to view - A guide

To all looking here. Take a moment to realize that all the amazing art work was hand drawn , no digital images, no instant image via a button, hand drawn , then hand painted or use of an air brush to enhance . The age of the illustrators - for all kinds of promotional work not just transportation. I knew well  two fellows who 50 years ago were illustrators in that 'golden' era , they were in their 70s at the time - Bill Orgil and Larry Hofmann  . Everything done in water color - transparent and opaque. ( opaque water color is better known as tempera paint - the stuff kids use to paint with in elementary school.)

Most of the original artwork did not survive, this water color in my collection I may have shared before , can't recall. It was by artist Roland Stickney who did most of the illustrations for LeBaron and also worked for manufacturers to do the art work for their sales catalogs. This is his artwork that was used in the salon programs and sales literature for the model L Lincoln coaching brougham built by Judkins and  exists in the former Harrah collection . I saw the actual car in person some years ago when 'the club that shall not be named' had its annual meeting in Reno. While standing there looking at the car a friend walked up and asked me "so what do you think" I told him - looks great just like the original artwork that was done for it. His reply was " which you have of course in your collection " He just nodded his head and then said " I am not surprised".

Even the caption up in the right corner was part of the illustration/artwork as was the interior.

JUDKINS coaching brougham artwoek.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

That's one of my favorites.  First printing was 1905 but I've seen the word "automobilia" used earlier.  I have some early British Autocar Magazines, as well others printed in this country where the word is synonymous with "automobile related" things.  I'm not sure about the earliest use of that term.  

For auto humor in general, there are some other great little books out there - I'll try to get a few photos posted later.

Terry

• Like 3

Those gas tank measuring sticks are cool.  I still find them in flea markets and antique shops.  Will need to photo some of mine.  I know I have one made from brass.

Not Ford but as promised, here are a few of my other early auto humor books with a few sample pages.  The "Motor Goose" book is currently being printed in the Horseless Carriage Gazette. 

Terry

Mortor Gose cover.jpg

Motor Goose inside page sample 1.jpg

Motor Goose inside page sample 2.jpg

Motor Goose inside page sample 3.jpg

Motor Goose inside page sample 4.jpg

Motor Goose Kant Slip Goodyear sponsored cover.jpg

Motor Goose Kant Slip insdie page sample.jpg

Auto Fun cover.jpg

Auto Fun inside page sample 1.jpg

Auto Fun inside page sample 2.jpg

Auto Fun inside page sample 3.jpg

• Like 3

Ok, this weekend I'll pull a few gas tank sticks out of my garage and take some pics.    Here are a few other misc Ford items in paper that are interesting -

First brochure is 1912 and is a neat die-cut flip-open mailer.  If you "lift" the body off the chassis, you can fold out a multi-page brochure giving lots of info on the Vanadium Steel used by Ford.  It's a neat little booklet that's never been used or handled too much.  I've not seen another one.

Next is a great 1920 calendar advertising Flaxon's Ford Garage.  The T image is a real work of art.

The next little booklet is really cute - just a single page fold-over 3" x 4 1/2" folded.  "Why did a man quit using a Ford?"  Open it up and it says inside "he died."   Interesting advertising piece from a Richmond Va dealer.

Next is a small tri-fold promoting the $5 savings plan. 

A cute booklet entitled "Straight Talk to Owners of Ford Cars by a Ford Roadster is actually a sales brochure for Howard Radiators, an aftermarket Model T radiator manufacturer.  It's an interesting booklet written as though a Model T Roadster was begging for one of those to be installed.

Enjoy,

Terry

1912 die cut flip open mailer outside covere.jpg

1912 die cut flip ooen mailer outside back.jpg

1912 die cut clip open brochure opened.jpg

1912 due cut flip open mailer inside pages.jpg

1912 die cut flip open brochure interior text sample.jpg

Flaxons Ford Garage.jpg

Small brochure outside covers.jpg

Small brochure Why did a man quit using a ford inside.jpg

Five Dollar savings plan brochure.jpg

Five Dollar savings plan brochure interior pages.jpg

Five Dollar savings plan brochure ouside.jpg

Forde Model T radiator brochure Straight Talk.jpg

For Model T radiator brochure Straight Talk inside pages.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So this continues as we share our collections - what an education this is!

It is like Christmas for car guys/people . SO neat to see the effort made for sales, and to promote the automobile use in every sense

Totally amazing that some of this stuff ever got saved because it got hidden behind something.

Thanks everyone for sharing. This indeed is a visual feast of automotive memorabilia history.

Always appreciate everyone's contributions - extensive or just one item.

Walt

• Like 3

I think I've posted some of these fans previously for please excuse my being lazy today and not checking - enjoy them anyway.

Terry611892346_Fan1.jpg.f38b421e0ecbe70b214d42e4fa27befa.jpg

Fan 2.jpg

Fan 3.jpg

Fan 4.jpg

Fan 8.jpg

Fan ladies fixing flat tire.jpg

Fan lady driving early car.jpg

Fan lady driving.jpg

Fan two ladies hehind windshield.jpg

Fan.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, Thebuicknut said:

The Buick letter opener collection figured you guys would like these rarities...

20220125_093831.jpg

Great!  A few varieties there I've not seen before.

Terry

Thinking about spring plowing, maybe you need a Staude Mak-A- Tractor. Catalog from Staude Mfg. Co. in St. Paul MN. The large ad is for Western Canada Auto Tractor in Winnipeg and Moose Jaw. The real photo is from a collection of Staude items I purchased at a local antique show. 

DSC02512 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02513 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02514 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02515 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02516 (1024x576).jpg

• Like 3

Torbert's system of practical Ford motoring.   Course study was held at the Ford building on University Ave. and Rice.   The building is still there.  I have attached a couple of illustrations that may be helpful to someone that owns a Model T.     I did send the complete course to Jay K.  at Vintage Ford.    If you go to MTFCA.com , resources...literature....bottom of the page look for Ford instruction course for owners and mechanics, you can read the complete course.

DSC02517 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02518 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02519 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02520 (1024x576).jpg

• Like 2

Ford tool checks and tags.   The round winged pyramid is from Oklahoma City. Th tool check between the scallop tags is from Des Moines, the large tag could be for machinery in order to inventory. It also has been said they were sewn into the coveralls. The last picture is the common design, first one is brass, second is aluminum and the third is steel.

DSC02547 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02548 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02549 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02550 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02551 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02552 (1024x576).jpg

DSC02553 (1024x576).jpg

• Like 2

Gary, your collection of T Ford stuff is fantastic!   Thanks for posting photos of your collection(s).  The photos of Ts are great.  I have a number of early photo-type postcards I'll try to scan later when time permits.   

The too checks are still seen in swap meets and junk shops.  I've never really picked them up, but of course have a few.  I never knew they came in such varieties though. 

Our local Ford plant here in Norfolk closed several years ago.  It had a long and great history going back to 1925.  I've got a few souvenirs including some tool checks, a nice plant badge and a set of commemorative tokens given to employees when the plant closed.  I know a local collector who has a box full of the plant badges, and another former employee who collected tool checks.  Both guys are hanging onto their treasures. 

I do have a photo handy of this great celluloid letter opener in my collection.  It's actually pretty delicate and I don't know how it managed to survive.  I think using it would have easily broken it.

More to come -

Terry

Ford letter opener.jpg

• Like 3