Memoribilia to view - A guide

Great stuff showing up here!  Thanks to everyone who contributes items many of us have never seen before.

Here is an unusual item - a tip tray as used in a tavern advertising the Dort Automobile.  This one was perhaps never used and is exceptionally clean and in superb condition.  It's about 4 1/2" diameter.  While advertising tip trays were fairly common in their day and are highly collectable now, advertising on them associated with automobiles seems quite scarce.  Also shown is  another great tray from my collection showing a lady motorist taking a break for a drink of something refreshing.  Although it advertises a bread company, the motoring related image is fantastic.

Terry

Dort dealership tip tray.jpg

Tip tray lady motorist drinking from tin cup.jpg

• Like 4

Great stuff Terry. I have been collecting Breweriana for years and this is the first tip tray I have seen with direct automotive advertising although a lot of Breweriana used generic automotive themes like your second example

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i do like that early Chrysler & De Soto Service sign.  It'll look fantastic in a distressed wood frame!  It has character!

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a chain saw manual in one of my file cabinets a few days ago and came across this program for the 1966 London to Brighton run. Excellent shape and suspect it had to be a reprint but I can find no printing information. 266 cars registered although there is a notation that the police will only allow 250 vehicles to start. Also included is a short history of each of the 99 different makes. Very interesting   For Steve M there were 12 Curved Dash Oldsmobiles entered. If our library does not have this it will be going there soon before I misplace it again. 

IMG_4055.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Lumbermans Mutual was founded in 1912 to cover sawmill workers and their families. According to court filings they were still insuring automobiles in 1998.  This advertisement dates back to the pre 1920 era.  The backing is heavy wood measuring 11 by 15 inches  .

IMG_4088.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The felt pennants are neat.  I've collected them for years.  Most have been just chance discoveries in antique markets or swap meets.

Here are a few of mine -

My collection as of 10 Oct 19.jpg

Felt pennants my collection continued.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/23/2024 at 10:12 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Railway Express advertising. 10 by 14 inches. Tin with embossed image and lettering. 

IMG_4090.jpeg

That's a great sign Bob-nice find.  Looks like it's on tin?  For many years it was all about porcelain stuff.  I always thought tin, even some cardboard signs were nicer because of the more detailed graphics.  There were some beautiful porcelains out there but always beyond my price range.  Tim and cardboard on the other hand I could afford.  Glad I started collecting when I did.

Terry

• Like 3

Christmas in July!  For years I have been walking around a small box in my CC storage unit marked “weather bird shoes lighted sign I think”. Found this when I opened it.  10 by 14 inches. Metal can is 4 inches deep. Works perfectly.  What I would give to be organized like Terry Bond!!!

IMG_4103.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Frank A Seiberling founded Goodyear Tire & Rubber company in 1898 naming it after Charles Goodyear the inventor of vulcanized rubber.  He served as the company president until 1921 when the company was reorganized and he and his brother Charles resigned and founded Seiberling Rubber Company .In only six years the company rose from 330th to 7th place in the tire industry.  They were acquired by Firestone in 1965 which ultimately became Bridgestone.  SSP on heavy metal 2ft by 6ft

IMG_4102.jpg

clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 12:25 PM, Terry Bond said:

Glad I started collecting when I did

I'm with you Terry.  I would hate to be starting my collection now. I probably have 250 -300 cardboard advertising pieces most of which are non automotive.  Some of the artwork is great.  Unfortunately there is not a forum to share them.

• Like 1

Moving stuff around in the car building this AM.  This porcelain has been sitting behind a row of file cabinets for years as it wasn’t 

“good enough” to hang. Purchased in the mid 90’s at a farm auction along with a group of pristine signs. I offered it to a friend for $100 at the time so I wouldn’t have to haul it home. DSP measures 54 inches. Both sides shown. What would it bring at auction today?  My times have changed.  I think I will hang it up. 

IMG_4159.jpeg

IMG_4157.jpeg

IMG_4155.jpeg

addition (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Cast iron IHC disc about 3 inches in diameter and about 3/8 inches thick. Has obviously been repainted at some time and has 1939 cast into it. Anyone help identify exact use? I assume for a tour of ............? Heavy piece to use as a give away souvenir so do not think it applies to that. You don't want to drop this on your foot! Great for crushing the shells on walnuts to open them up..........instant cure for insomnia ( clunk)  or possibly take to a car show and bounce off a hood to signify the car has been judged............🙃

IHCmedallion1939.jpg

IHCmedallion 2.jpg

• Like 2

This little sugar bowl from my collection is only the second piece of Automobile club of Detroit memorabilia I've seen.  I also have a small plate.  I'm sure there are other pieces out there somewhere but I've not found them yet.

The Automobile club of Detroit was founded in 1902 by John Dodge, Ransom E. Olds and Henry Ford.  Originally held on private property on Pine Lake in Michigan, it was simply a private group who liked to camp away from the city.  Later, they were able to purchase the property they used and a club-house was built.  It was expanded to accommodate additional special guests, and by 1917 a golf course had been added and it became an exclusive membership club.  With an ever increasing emphasis on golfing, the course was expanded and the name of the organization was changed to the Pine Lake Country Club.  It still exists as an exclusive members only country club. 

Although it actually has little connection to the automobile industry other than the three founders, these items are a piece of the club's history.  Surely such objects were replaced when the name was changed in 1921.  Was the rest destroyed? Sold off? or just pilfered as souvenirs?  

Any other pieces out there?

Terry

Automobile Cluf of Deetroit sugar bowl.jpg

• Like 5

I just picked this up today in a box lot from an auction.  Admittedly, I had no idea that it was in there and I had picked up the lot to part out but this little piece is a keeper.  In the pictures it just looked like some sort of 6 inch ruler of some sort as they only had one picture with the number side facing up.  Once I got it in my hands it was instantly a keeper.  It's a profit/pricing tool.  

image.jpeg.37ff4cbd417f9eef1feb7694be16dd08.jpeg

image.jpeg.6019057bd3ff0c69ad70643b6f54f352.jpeg

• Like 1

A couple more recent small finds.  I can't find any information to date the poker chips so if anyone else has any information I'm happy to learn

image.jpeg.f2e4b5dc9aa42e9c166a48d6b9b3f273.jpeg

image.jpeg.63385b19883a34d405192eb3c89cfc38.jpeg

image.jpeg.175443f71bc9711f5d9526265b6be6be.jpeg

And then this pencil that was put out by the Imperial Automobile Insurance Company

image.jpeg.9c3c654d14fb008911bca7a9e1c6d5a2.jpeg

But it's more than a pencil

image.jpeg.75c6232c7b752cbcce471cdc8fe9f28e.jpeg

This last picture is not great as I zoomed in too much on my phone - it looks like a small bulb is in the opening

image.jpeg.e1864f9cab40b9bd89d0c496320b7175.jpeg

Now if someone can explain how you use it, again I'm happy to learn

• Like 2

Interesting spark plug testing pencil there 3Mac.

But, you would have to sharpen to a point to expose pencil lead.

Then I think, light end to distributer lead of running car, (pull off one plug) and pencil lead end to top off earthed spark plug. Or maybe there is/ was a plug tester available for single plugs, that provided electricity. 

Years ago, a prank was to draw a pencil line on spark plug from top to bottom, which bypassed plug and made it 'temporarily' non functional. 

• Thanks 1

I just picked up this silk banner about a week ago.  It is from 1959 and Canadian market only.  Envoy was a brand that GM introduced selling Vauxhaul and Bedford sourced products in Canada starting in 1959 until 1970.  It does have some condition issues, but hey, don't we all!

image.jpeg.70699f81e70d068e993b0a32370a93fc.jpeg

image.jpeg.61e9c9263084c85b0e5c61317e86fe6e.jpeg

• Like 1