1928 Chrysler Model 72 Firewall Map/Diagram

Does anyone have a diagram of the firewall showing what holes are for what purpose?  Some of the holes are obvious for mounting the brake canister, vacuum tank and coil, the holes which are for controls, vacuum lines and wires are not.  And then there's the possibility of additional holes made by some previous owner which should not be there at all.    

Don't have a "plan", suggest you look at a couple of underhood photos on internet. also, there are usually 8-10 bolts that hold the inner firewall pad in place and also hold clamps for electrical etc. If you have the original pad it will tell you where those go. Original holes are usually easy to identify as they were punched out and are clean edged. Later hole usually have a rough side from drilling.

I think I can name some of them, lets start in the middle the hole that has 3 small holes around it wold be where the Coil goes under the coil in the set back area that hole would be for the Speedometer cable, the two holes (same size) to the right, first hole would be for electrical cables going to the horn and distributor, the second hole would be for the oil line going to the oil pressure gauge, the smaller holes to the right would be for brackets to hold  the brake fluid canister and if you have a oil filter, at the bottom of the firewall you have a hole for conduit to take electric cable to the Clum switch for lights and horn and brake light switch. Now back to the middle to the left of the Coil hole the smaller holes would be for the Chrysler tag further to the left the elongated hole would be for the cable that goes to the manifold heat control and vacuum line for windscreen wiper, the other small holes would be for brackets to hold the vacuum tank, at the bottom you have another conduit hole, that leaves the hole as large as the coil hole directly above the manifold is the only one I'm not sure of

IMG_2783.thumb.PNG.6bd1fbc2a195252220fa7cbe9b647d0b.PNG

IMG_2787.PNG

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

A heater in a roadster.....Bizarre!  Anything else to note?  What about the holes for the firewall insulating mat? Are they the small holes up both "legs" of the firewall?

Yes 28 Chrysler is correct that hole was put there later at some stage, as for the holes in the "legs" I think that there was a reinforcing metal bracket "L" shaped that was bolted to the front and onto the main timber runners of the bodywork, there are two holes under where the oil filter goes that should be for a stabilizer.

I have just had another look at your internal photo and yes I can one of those brackets in the bottom right hand corner.  

1.jpg

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

Hi Leomara,

I'm no expert on the model 72 but there are a lot of holes on the firewall that are common to other models I have restored, so I have edited your pictures with what I have seen on other cars and what I think is correct. If anyone else wishes to correct me, I'm happy to learn more.

I would disregard the pictures from Hyman, that car has been restored and you can not be sure that it is totally correct, for instance there are 2 holes below the brake reservoir where the motor stabiliser is missing. I have downloaded lots of pictures of Chrysler engine bays over the years, but most have been restored or modified over the years.

The picture posted by Sasha correctly shows the oil filter in place, the wiring coming thru the bottom of the cowl, and the brake fluid reservoir with the engine stabiliser fitted directly below it. This stabiliser was common on models 50, 52, 60, 62 and others, it has a flat bar link that bolts to the left rear head stud.

684821845_firewall1.jpg.eb83b81e796906c61095ce4eb4f7bf32.jpg

1989244854_firewall2.jpg.7d1b82416abdb4d17a6fb9ffcc7565db.jpg

The bottom pictures are of an unrestored wreck, although you cannot be sure this has not been altered, it does show where some stuff fits.

Viv.

427598987_c7025.thumb.JPG.758c6809c0f9e19618ac885e9aa1a62c.JPG1548408465_c7026.thumb.JPG.f82b78a8217efb0585b6f6433a6f48bf.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, great work!  Great information.  Now the questions.  Here is a photo of what I believe to be my oil filter and yes the holes do line up.  This filter only has one strap, some other ones I've seen like the one in your wreck are twice as large and have two straps.  Are there filters for my unit?  My vacuum tank is a Stewart Warner, have no idea how to service it. The fittings for the vacuum tank and oil filter and gas lines, where can they be obtained?   Where you label things as "clamps" like "gas line clamp", "thin auto vacuum tube clamp", "wiring clamp hole" just what are these clamps?  Thank you.

100_0790.JPG

Hi,

On the gasline, electrical wiring and oil pipes they had clamps/clips like this   ----------->>   Wiring Clip - Ford

On the small vacuum pipe the clamp was similar to the one below, it wrapped right around the pipe and was back to back where the fastener went thru both parts of the doubled over metal. Electric Fuel Pump - 6 Volt - Top Quality Carter Brand - 2-4 PSI Pressure<<<LIKE THIS CLAMP BUT SMALLER

All fasteners holding these clamps, the autovac, brake reservoir etc were slotted, round head machine screws and where nuts were used they were square with a split type lockwasher.

Viv.

• 2 weeks later...

Those 4 holes on each leg of the firewall, behind them is a piece of angle iron bolted to the wood skeleton that has holes that line up as well but there are no bolts going through the firewall holding them together?  Any ideas about that? 

You are correct, they must have been pulled when the body was removed.  It looks like angle iron could be substituted, what type of bolts are being used?

• 2 years later...

I wanted to update this drivers side firewall map with something just recently discovered.  The vibrating circuit breaker was mounted on the inside of the firewall with two hex bolts coming through where the two blue pointers show.  Thank you Vintageben.

Drivers Firewall with Buzzer.jpg

100_3651.JPG

Edited by leomara (see edit history)
  • Like 3