1922 studebaker generator

The covers were being reproduced ten years ago.......someone should know if they are still in production. It’s a complicated casting, and not easy to make.

When I rebuilt the Remy 917-A generator for my Light Six,  I found that one of the Stutz guys (Dan, who goes by STuTZ693 on this forum) had made the molds for the Remy 917 series end castings since his Stutz has a Remy 917-R.  Dan sold me a couple of castings that I machined to fit the generator.  When talking to Jason Smith (Advanced Electrical Rebuilders), I was under the impression that he had machined these end castings from billet aluminum.  I did hook him up with Dan at one point so maybe he had him cast up a few more end castings.  I know that Jason has a lot of work  ...... maybe he will chime in.  You could always contact Dan to see if he may have another spare casting which will need some final machining work to complete. Photo is of the restored end casting on my generator.

Scott

DSC07469.thumb.JPG.fe5718db155e52fb9bbfd0dbc452810a.JPG

• Like 1

Photo of old brush holder end casting and aluminum replacement (this is the casting Dan DiThomas had reproduced). The rough casting still needed to be machined to fit the generator body, machined to accept the sealed rear bearing, the brush supports needed located and drilled and the mounting bolt holes needed located and drilled. This was designed for a two brush set up and the third brush was replaced by a solid state regulator supplied by Jim Peterson, P.O. Box 912, Bend, Oregon 97709 Phone: 541-389-0438 (jpetersonbend@yahoo.com) which fits under the band. I'm not sure if Jim is still producing these or this contact info is still good - I just sent an email.

Again, not sure if Dan has any more castings or is willing to cast them again. If not, then they can be reproduced from a billet of aluminum on a lathe. The reason for all the added info is to convey that this is not an easy project and will take some time and money to solve.  Most all the original pot metal brush holders have failed. Good luck with the project.

Scott

1851817809_Oldandnewbrushholder.thumb.jpg.74c02fc7e2e9afac712394af31cb198a.jpg1674187191_Oldandnewbrushholder2.thumb.jpg.cad5c7236602c1114243de76e283cc5b.jpgvoltreg1.jpg.ccf0abdcc2083e3b35ea33af77b70112.jpg

scott, thank you. I was looking forward to this car, but my friend who picked it up for me fell in love with it and I have decided to sell it to him. Im sure he will need to solve this problem still so perhaps he will appear on the forum. In the mean time, I need another car. 

12 hours ago, STUDE48 said:

Scott, how did the solid state regulator work out

Works great.  Unless you remove the band, you don't know it's there.  You can use it with an original cutout relay (which I did) or you can bypass that relay and it has an internal diode to replace that relay - there are simple instructions on how to install it either way.  It manages the way a modern VR would work within the capability of the generator. Driving down the road you can watch it charge and gradually drops off as the battery state of charge reaches it's peak. I verified that Jim Peterson is still making these. Current price is $108. He also has the style where the band is clamped with a screw rather than the snap band pictured.

Scott

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I think the casting option has gone away unless we start from scratch. I would rebuild yours and convert to a different style that uses a cast iron brush plate housing. I've done quite a few and once complete most people can not tell that the conversion was done. Pictures (before and after) below of a job done to show this example. Its cheaper than casting or machining as well, those costs have gone up a lot in the past few years. Email me directly if you are interested or have questions.

-Jason

jason@aerrebuild.com

www.aerrebuild.com

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

Edited by startergenrebuilder (see edit history)