Trying to identify this vehicle

Roy S

Hi Everyone

I am trying to identify this vehicle in connection with some historical research I am undertaking.

It was almost certainly built in the UK and the image dates from around 1900-1910.

Any suggestions or information appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

Unidentified car circa 1905.jpg

The Dennis built in Guildford does seem like a possible match at first glance, but the front fork arrangement doesn't quite match.  As Bob mentioned, De Dion Bouton built many, and supplied engines to the majority of others.   There are a lot of other possibilities, but one that strikes me as being close is the British built Ariel Quadricycle.   There are others too - Progress was another British made quadricycle.  Imported vehicles were not rare at that time and many French made automobiles found their way to the UK in those days.  Peugeot was one that was well known.  Their quadricycle was short-lived but quite popular.   The British made Humber is also another possibility but I've not been able to find a suitable image.  Attached is also a great photo form Prewarcar showing a couple of De Dion Bouton quadricycles so you can compare some features.  It's unfortunate that in the original photo the ladies skirt hides much critical detail.  We may never get any closer than "it might be..."  but we'll have fun trying.

Terry

Ariel Quadricycle ad.jpg

Ariel Quadricycle.jpg

Quadricycle Progress.jpg

Cycle cars De Dion.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

British auto journalists of the day said the seating arrangement put the passenger between the driver and the accident.  The French were a little more direct.  They called it the mother-in-law killer.

53 minutes ago, padgett said:

Wonder if Ariel ever made a Quadricyle with the square four ?

The age of the quadricycle as depicted ended long before the Square Four was introduced in 1931.  It would have been almost a mini-car with that much power though.

Terry

19 hours ago, dictator27 said:

British auto journalists of the day said the seating arrangement put the passenger between the driver and the accident.  The French were a little more direct.  They called it the mother-in-law killer.

That was my first thought. Put the ol girl up front..

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 8:21 AM, Terry Bond said:

The age of the quadricycle as depicted ended long before the Square Four was introduced in 1931.  It would have been almost a mini-car with that much power though.

Terry

Now that would have been interesting if Ariel did make a competitor for the BSA Scout.

Craig