Drain plug for fuel tank

Nubs

I was hoping somebody could help? Looking for a fuel tank drain plug for a 1951 chrysler windsor deluxe. I have found fuel tanks but my tank is okay the plug itself I need to replace the head broke off. Can't seem to find one, any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, not a standard plug. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Tried Napa, Sanel Auto Parts, Fisher Auto Parts, Fastenal, Fasteners Warehouse, have a call in to Andy bernbaum I have had no response in a few days. Checked online, and also talked to some old Chrysler mechanics, and have had no luck finding one. Hate to replaced the whole tank at $400 when all I need is just the plug.

I can't believe it's not a standard pipe thread. The one in my 1941 Buick is 1/4 NPT and I'm pretty sure the one in my wife's '56 Chrysler is 3/8 NPT. Go buy a few brass plugs from Home Depot and see if one fits. It can't be a thread that Chrysler just made up for their gas tanks. There would be no reason and would add a significant degree of difficulty and cost to both manufacturing and service. Have the threads been damaged, making it impossible to thread anything in there? You might be able to chase it with an appropriately-sized tap to get it right again or go up to the next size if you're careful.

• Like 2

With all that said, the 46-48 Chryslers (could be others) used a special fitting on the draw tube that doesn't fit anything else and is difficult but not impossible to find.

There was a discussion on that a couple of years ago that may lead one to a drain plug if it is indeed an oddball.

Seems there was a supplier mentioned as I remember buying one of those special upper fittings.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

On 4/28/2020 at 12:21 PM, Nubs said:

I was hoping somebody could help? Looking for a fuel tank drain plug for a 1951 chrysler windsor deluxe. I have found fuel tanks but my tank is okay the plug itself I need to replace the head broke off. Can't seem to find one, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this   https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MoPar-fuel-tank-drain-plug-Mfg-1316670/254451420873?hash=item3b3e7c8ec9:g:DjIAAOSwmXtd8l81

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...