The "One-Eyed Garford" - do any survive?

Terry Bond

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

All my digging turned up some interesting info

Terry, thank you for posting this subject.  Most of my original research on Garford the man and the Garford automobile was 25 years ago.  I still like to sit back in the shop with a glass of single malt and enjoy the cars and advertising on a quiet evening.  Fond memories of old romance's that have not faded with time.

It's a quiet evening here too, and today's project was to complete the refinish of the antique cabinet I keep my early accessory catalogs in. I had emptied it a few weeks ago, and now that I am putting things back in, I'm organizing and photographing covers of the catalogs to complete an inventory. So, on this quiet evening I'm sitting here with a good single malt and looking through some of those amazing booklets from the early 1900s. 

Enjoy your evening and thanks again for your input. 

Terry

Terry

7 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Terry if you search for a thread by GinaW under Studebaker, Erskin and Rockne yow will see a photo of a Garford Letter Opener owned by Richard Quinn. 

Thanks - I've seen those Studebaker letter openers before.  It's clearly a Studebaker piece as it's marked on the car image itself.  Oddly enough, one of those showed up on ebay not long ago.  I did not know it was part of a letter opener or I might have bid on it. 

Terry

Part of Studebaker letter opener.jpg

Studebakeer letter opener.JPG

Hi All

Following the slight Garford drift. Here is a picture of the early, and big Studebaker that I think Eric Edwards later purchased when it was for sale at a HCCA swap meet several years ago (I think it was in Keene, NH). Labeled as a Studebaker, I think it was made by Garford and just marketed at Studebaker. And if memory is correct, I think it still had factory low tension mechanical breaker ignition instead of spark plugs.

Studebaker.jpg

Yes, a marketing agreement. Studebaker did not make their own gasoline cars until late 1912, and called them 1913 models. Before that there were marketing agreements with Garford and later EMF. Studebaker hung Studebaker radiator scripts on at least some of them, possibly all.

I also think the car in the picture is a Garford.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

The history is pretty well documented on the relationship between Studebaker and Garford for supply of the chassis that Studebaker bodies were built on. Garford did build and sell some of their own cars too-and those were distinctly branded as Garfords. The car in the photo is a Studebaker.  It just happens to have a chassis supplied by Garford. 

Terry

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2020 at 8:50 PM, Bloo said:

Yes, a marketing agreement. Studebaker not make their own gasoline cars until late 1912, and called them 1913 models. Before that there were marketing agreements with Garford and later EMF. Studebaker hung Studebaker radiator scripts on at least some of them, possibly all.

And sold units that they didn't hang their radiator scripts, an owner could request a Studebaker name-plate to affix to his car upon furnishing his address and car number as per Post #13 here:  How many Studebakers 1902-1966. Your answer - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

• Like 1

Reading through all this again I realized I'd not posted a picture of the pin that was the reason for my original question - So far, I'm aware of only one other like this.   Perhaps worn by a salesman? 

Terry

Garford cyclops radiator style pin.jpg

• Like 1