Lacquer

broker-len

On Lacquer I have used Mothers Mag and aluminum Polish and it works amazingly well,   but if you aren't comfortable with that and want to spend some more money,  I recently started using Adam's One step polish which is a swirl remover and even on the really hard clear coat on my 51 Dodge that was repainted gets rid of all the small scratches after regular wet sanding buffing and polishing out with Mother's.  The Dodge is a Dark Blue. 

Thank you all for your posts-----I used --3M 05954 Super duty Rubbing compound  then Meguiar's Swirl Remover------maybe I am being to aggressive ------it has been mentioned to have a spray bottle of water so the produce does not dry out---------------------what do you think ?

Yes, 05954 not needed unless new paint or trying to remove lots of oxidation.

Use a finer compound, like Meguiers #7 (if that still exists) followed by corn starch. Both of these are applied with cotton rags, like old t-shirt material. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, broker-len said:

I have been told the wool pad has been replaced by foam------have been told it is better    what do you think

I tried foam pads. HATED them. For me a thick natural wool bonnet works best. Keep the compound wet and when it starts loading up I clean it with a spur wheel dresser. They last forever, are easy to control edge cut through and when you are getting near the last stages of the buff job it's easier to use a light touch to finish. I keep two bonnets. One for medium cut to start and a fine cut to finish. I never did need to use swirl remover.

Your results may vary...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

There are different pads for different problems. I like a good cutting wool pad to remove deep flaws in the paint over a large area. I like the foam pads for intermediate and fine finishing. Most finishes can be brought to life better with a random orbital polisher and foam pads. If your swirl marks are deep, use a mild compound like 3M 3900 and a yellow cutting foam pad on a random orbital polisher, followed by swirl remover with a blue pad and finally use a cleaner wax with a white pad. Then I use Meguier's show car glaze and a good wax to preserve the work.

Here is a video on the correct way to use the random orbital and 3M products

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/?N=5002385+8709313+8711413+8716716+8744186+8711017+3294857497&rt=r3

Try 3M Imperial hand glaze polish, and do it by hand- in the shade use  terry cloth cotton to apply and to take off.

Lightly spray distilled water on the cloth and squeeze a ample amount of hand glaze on the cloth and buff by hand into the paint about 1-2 square ft at a time. Do not let dry. Quickly and while wet, buff with the other clean dry towel---you will be amazed. 

My car is painted in PPG black lacquer and the paint is now 28 years old and I painted the car in my driveway.

p1020752.jpg